Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Trip to the Gaylord in Grapevine

So, two days after Christmas, we packed up and headed for Grapevine, TX with our good buddies, Candice and Steve and their kiddos! When we arrived, there were about 8 million people there, maybe not 8 MILLION, but there were a lot! After checking into our rooms, we walked around in the atrium before dinner and before our ticket time to "Ice!", the exhibit there.
Here is the atrium inside the Gaylord Hotel...it's ginormous!, and very pretty!

Also inside the atrium
Steve and his "Candy"
Stopping to "smell" the poinsettias...I told the kids they don't really have a smell, but, Wyatt wasn't convinced, and got a second opinion from Conor.
After all of that exploring, we've worked up an appetite...so, we pick one of the many restaurants in the Hotel. We decide on a southwestern place because we figure if it's got Mexican food, there will be something there for everyone, and with a party of 12, we were looking for something cheapo!
CLEARLY, there is some low blood-sugar in the group...Table please!
OK...now, let's check out this menu...


Umm...Yikes....remember what I said about wanting a cheapo place?...this was not the place...and, for the record, there was NO Mexican food at this southwestern place of food....as you can see in the picture above, I'm about to throw-up out my nose, and am trying to keep it in so as not to make a scene.

Seems how our tickets for the ice exhibit were in half-an-hour, we just bit the bullet, and ate there anyway...
Here are the 15 dollar crab cakes I ordered off of the appetizer menu for my meal...not bad right?...except that they were the size of a silver dollar...seriously. I left there still starving.

Candice was interested in the dessert menu and said to the waitress, "I want to talk to you about your orange Creme Brulee...Tell me,...Is it a hit with the people?" The waitress just sat there for a minute like she didn't understand what Candice had so CLEARLY stated in her lovely English accent, however, the waitress just said, "What? Does it HIT the people?" Candice tried again, only this time she spoke slower and used smaller words.." Is the orange creme brulee any good?" The waitress then went into a strange description of how she doesn't really like the taste of it, and that it tasted like an orange flavor she couldn't begin to describe...when I offered "orange soda" she got very excited and said," Yes! It tastes like orange soda! Thank You!!" Candice and I looked at each other and decided that orange Creme Brulee that costs $20, and tasted like orange soda, was not for us....Check Please!
This is what Steve did when he saw the bill....
Oh, well! off to the ice exhibit!
Does this line look long?...it was the short part...we needed to find something to do to entertain ourselves....so, we practiced our ski model poses..I'm Ingrid...and I like...snow.
I'm Helga,the frozen fish of the north..I'm Earl...is this Arkansas?
And I'm...stuck...


3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

that looks like so much fun! i want to go to that one of these years...

hoLLy said...

i love all of you guys facial expressions! i'm one that loves a good funny face and spend my days taking pictures of myself making funny faces and then send them as picture messages to my sister. we do it back and forth sometimes when we are bored to see who can do the funniest one. lame you say? perhaps.

Jan said...

Looks like a blast to me -- fun times!