Friday, January 25, 2008

The Perfect Valentines Gift

It's 1993. Our first Valentines Day.
I knew this was a critical one. Steph would use this as a gauge on how thoughtful a husband she really had (after 6 months of marriage, she was starting to realize a lamppost was less emotionally constipated than the guy she was stuck with.) Dang computer guys! Steph is close to her family, and I knew my acceptance into the family was in the balance.
Not to fear - I was on top of this one. I was considering my options:
  • Lingerie - No, too risky. Someone would realize this was really a gift for me :)
  • Jewelry - Always safe. Problem was we were just married with no money. I'd need to make it out of pipe cleaners.
  • Clothes - Yeah, I had already messed this up at Christmas and didn't want a repeat. Get it too big she thinks you think she's fat. Too small and she tries it on a feels fat. Too conservative and she feels you see her as a grandma. Too edgy and she thinks you see her as a ho. Even if I get over these hurdles, I'm sure the color or style will be so last week.
Hmmm. It was in this state of confusion/stupor we find our hero and wife shopping at Target. We couldn't afford much so it was mostly window shopping. It was there, on aisle 14 - kitchen furnishings, that Steph dropped the comment that she's always wanted a spice rack. There it was! Out of nowhere! A ray of pure inspiration!
After a week of shopping, I found it. the KitchenAid SHR-457 Countertop Rotating Spice Rack - complete with spices!What a beauty! Holds 16 of the most commonly used spices! Ball-bearing, smooth rotating action! Clear spice containers for fast access by even the most demanding chief! All for only $17.67. Not since the Red-Rider BB gun had such a wonder of workmanship been fashioned!

Three days later, Valentine's Day, our young couple are entering the romantic and upscale restaurant, Olive Garden. I've left my gift for my lucky wife in the car (no reason to make the other husbands look bad.) During Diner, I'm completely gitty. Steph sees a nice older lady she knows sitting next to us. She's very friendly and has a twinkle in her eye that reminds me of Mrs Santa Claus.

Part way through the meal, Steph pulls out a little gift wrapped box. I'm excited and open it to find a very very nice watch. I mean way cool and just what I wanted. I smile up at Steph and that's when it hits me. A watch.
That's a nice gift. That's a cool Valentine's gift. A spice-rack? Who the heck gives someone a spice rack for Valentine's?!?! I cursed that fateful day at Target. Why couldn't we have been on some other aisle ?!? Dang, might as well have gotten her a new set of radial tires!

That's when Mrs never-minds-her-own-business-daughter-of-Satan Claus asks, "How how nice. What did you get for Steph?" After 5 seconds I realized my laser eyes weren't going to make her burst into flames so I quip out some lame answer, "Oh, I left hers home".

After the meal, we got in the car. I broke down and explained everything to Steph. She smiled, insisted it was OK and that it would look great in the kitchen. It actually did look good there. I know, because that is where I slept that night. Alone.

Every year since then, I've gotten her a small kitchen goody in remembrance.

So, with Valentine's coming up again, if anyone has a better idea than a spice-rack for a gift I can get Steph, please let me know!


7 comments:

Jan said...

I love the spice rack story! Mark is totally gift-challenged - so usually what I get is nothing but he has shown that he is trainable and has improved over the years. Good for you for your awareness anyhow!! (and I know that now you do great gifts -- a year's supply of M & M's is awesome!)

Hacking it up said...

Lance---THIS is what you were up doing until 1:00 am?!? Boy, you had better NEVER give me a hard time about staying up too late to blog again!!!
As for the story..it is true...all of it. I have since lowered my expectations. I just want a nice card and some cinnamon bears....It's not about the stuff...I've already got the best Valentine --my knight in shining armor, Sir Lancelot...even if he is a computer dork :)

Chelsey said...

That is such a cute, funny story that you guys will remember forever and your kids will probably remember forever! I love it! Aw, how sweet!

hoLLy said...

that was so funny. you hackings are talented and entertaining writers! we've had at least one holiday gift exchange that was similar:)

Unknown said...

Lance here's a gift idea you can NEVER EVER EVER go wrong with....Diamonds!!! very simple very expensive and just what every girl wants! oh and throw in cinnamon bears and a card and it will Steph's best Valentines ever! :)

Natalie Scott said...

Ah, that is sweet. It's always the "thought" that counts, right? RIGHT? I've given up on the whole gift thing...I prefer to get my own gifts than have Ryan stress out, get the wrong thing, then me have to take it back. I just let him watch the kids while I go out and get something nice for myself :o)

Lance, you are seriously one sweet hubby.

Steve said...

I would get her some already-opened items from Bath and Body Works! : )

Love the Valentines story. Sounds like every occassion for me.