It was just this Friday, when out on our date with Steve and Candice that I saw the true dark side to Steph. With some time to kill before the movie, we invaded Bath and Bodyworks - aka dark underworld of the Sith.
Oh it looks innocent. Cute little bottles of goop made from various weeds (honestly, does pomegranate really, make my hair shiny?). Nice little signs advertising "good deals". But upon walking in, a dark shadow fell over my bank account and my wallet suddenly felt cold and empty.
It had been some time since I had actually been shopping with Steph. And when I had she always appear...constrained. However, as Steve and I hung back, I watched with horror as Steph and Candice, now oblivious to us guys, were seduced by the dark side.
Here are the warning signs and how it went down. Perhaps you may be able to save a loved one before it's too late:
1) Early Danger Signs: They had shopping bags for people going in to the store. With a simple nod of Steph's head, products leaped into the bag until it was overflowing.
2) Strange Blackouts: I stepped forward to object. I don't remember much, other than that she had a strange look in her eyes and waved two fingers in front of me. I recall saying, "I do want you to buy 13 types of botanical soap" and wondering what "botanical" was.
3) You Open, you don't buy?: To the horror of Steve and I, the girls thought there was no issue with opening boxes of stuff to smell, spray, micro-derm abrase, or whatever. When Steve suggested that may not be OK, Candice gave him a look that let us know our place.
I'm not even sure the products they were trying worked that great. Here's a picture I took with my cell phone after Steph tried their "Essence of lavender, lime juice, and beats facial enhancer":
4) More than needed: Steve and I finally realized the level to which the Retail Sith had stooped when both girls, with bags already overflowing with bottles of stuff to buy, were still shopping. Steph picked something up and Candice said, "Oh, did you find something you actually need?"
That was it. Our girls had gone over to the dark side! I had to do something, so I said, "Just now you're finding something you need? What about the 214 bottles of stuff in your bags? What about...." again, I'm a bit hazy what happened next, but she waved again with two fingers and I recall saying, "How about a few more things dear." Odd.
6) Checkout: At the cash register, Steph was insistent I hand over my wallet, and I was powerless.
7) Parting Shot: As a final fatal blow from the Sith, the bag she brought home had these words: "See it. Love it. Click it. Buy it. BathAndBodyWorks.Com". Isn't that just the way of the dark retail side - if you see it, buy it.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Dark Lord of the Retail Sith
Posted by
Lance
at
11:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Oh my heck Lance you totally crack me up..here I am trying to be quite so I don't wake Adam all the while I am silently laughing hysterically. Steph broke the cardinal rule which is "never ever under any circumstance shop in front of the husband" this is crucial because what you don't know can't hurt you and so it essentialy never happened at all! :)
That is exactly how it went down! I cannot stop laughing. I am still hazy from the power that was used on us that night. Even the lady who worked there used the dark side to convince Lance and I that there would be "better" sales throughout the year in which our wives will have to get more.
By the way, my face has changed back since you took that picture of me: )
this is hilarious! (and SO true!) thanks for a good laugh lance! the dark side is everywhere...especially in the mall.
Lance, you are nuts. Completely nuts. Is that what happened to you in that store? I didn't think men were allowed in there. Maybe that's why.
CLEARLY I need to change my password!!! Blog hog is back!!! And for your information....I only spent $35.00....a new record low for me at that store!!! Seriously!!! 7 anti-bacterial hand-pump soaps for $20 SEVEN!!!! Who can beat that?The other stuff I got was to try to look young and beautiful for whose benefit?!? LANCE'S That's who!!!Some people are SO UN-GRATEFUL!!!!Lance has NO IDEA how much money I save him!!!
Seriously...I don't have to take this kind of abuse!! It's MY BLOG!!!
By the way...we only opened a couple things that they didn't have testers for....how is a person expected to buy something if they don't know what it smells like?!? THAT would be a waste of money if you bought it and didn't like it, then didn't use it....See Lance?...I'm ALWAYS thinking of how I can save you more money....you're welcome.
I'm with you, Steph. 7 for $20 - that's INSANE! I love their soaps.
I heard one time that complaining can be a form of bragging...I think Lance secretly loves it when you spend money!;)
You kill me. I saved so much money that night, you wouldn't even understand. Neither would Steve because he likes to give our money away. Seriously...he will just walk around and hand it out to people. Like the 85 year old balloon lady at HEB. I told him to go fill the balloons up for Addison's b-day (thinking he would go to his work and do it where he gets them for free) and he thought spending $40 on balloons for a b-day was more appropriate! Geez, I feel so unappreciated.
You know what they say about woman who feel unappreciated? There is a lot less "cumin" in there recipes. If you know what I mean" WINK!!! (
hmmm. that scenario sounds awfully familiar. i wonder why?
Y'know, Lance, that lovely wife of yours bore you 5 children. She can buy ANYTHING she wants!!! Hmph, men and their Star Wars analogies.
;o)
And 7 soaps for $20? That IS impressive. Good job, Steph!
Well Steph, the day will come when Lance finds an empty soap container on the counter. And won't he be relieved to find that, because of your forethought, there is another one just under the counter. You can never have too much soap. And if it smells good and it was cheap then it is just that much better.
Aren't you just hilarious. Maybe you should try appreciating the fact that your wife smells nice. Maybe you should appreciate the fact that your wife is actually making money by saving you so much (a trait that her and I share). Maybe you should appreciate the value of a good deal. Let's say you were shopping at an electronics store, would you find plasma flat screen t.v.s 7 for $20? Don't think so! So next time you are about to criticize your wife for shopping a good deal, smart alleck, maybe you should stop and think back on all the non-deals you have shopped!
Post a Comment