Ever since my kids were born, we have read stories before bed. I almost always enjoy this time...I say ALMOST always because sometimes you just need everyone to go to bed NOW!!! However, I usually enjoy it more times than not. We have our favorites...and we have our not very favorites....for example, Though I may get tagged as an un-fit mother,I do not enjoy Dr. Seuss books....But don't call social services yet....Seriously,....what exactly is this guy a "doctor" of? A Dr. of color blindness perhaps? 'Cuz, dang! The illustrations are like when you take your kids to a restaurant and they hand them a paper to color on and two crayons....red. and blue.What kind of color palate is THAT? How are you supposed to draw anything worthy of the fridge with that?..."look mom! I drew a red fish with blue eyes!...now I drew a blue fish with red eyes!"...thus the book," Red fish, Blue fish"...Then we have "The Cat in the Hat". This book gives me total anxiety. These kids are left home alone. Let a COMPLETE STRANGER --a talking cat stranger at that--into their house , who then introduces two MORE strangers into the abode and proceed to completely destroy the house! (This is where the anxiety really starts to set in!...) NO ONE will listen to the talking fish who is the only voice of reason...he's cast aside in a tea pot or the toilet or something...THEN they have to try to hurry and clean up the mess, not to mentioned their mother's favorite dress, before she walks in the door!
This totally stresses me out.
What message are we sending here?--Disobey your mother, let strangers into the house to do whatsoever they please, and as long as it all gets cleaned up before she gets home, it's OK!
I've tried those things...they don't work...mom ALWAYS finds out!

And what's with"Green Eggs and Ham"? I wouldn't eat those either...Especially not with farm animals. What if you were chowing down on one of their relations? That would make for some very awkward dinner conversation...

I will say that I like the story of "The Star-Bellied Sneetches". This has a very good moral...despite it's gross lack of a color palate...like, be happy with who you are, don't give in to peer pressure, and don't get tattoos.

"the Grinch who stole Christmas" also has a very good message, so I will give the "doc" that! :)

OK, enough Dr. Seuss bashing...he's not that bad--really--I just tend to go off on tangents.Back to the subject at hand...
Bedtime stories. Our favorites.
"Once Upon a Time, The End (asleep in 60 seconds)" Has got to be my very favorite! My kids just crack up every time! It's hilarious!

Here are a couple of our favorite excerpts:
"John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt"
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
His name is my name too!
Whenever we go out,
The people always shout:
"John! John!, get in bed and be quiet!"
"Hickory, Dickory, Dock"
Hickory, dickory, dock.
A mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck eight. Oh my! It's late!
So the mouse went straight to bed.
"Jack and Jill"
Jack and Jill
went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water...
Jack! What are you doing out of bed in the middle of the night!?!
Another favorite of ours is,
"Skippy Jon Jones"
I particularly love this one because, not only is it cute, but I get to use my Spanish accent! OLE!

This little cat is a stinker. He gets sent to his room for being naughty, and ends up in his own make-believe world where he is a Chihuahua and he sings:
" My name is Skippito Friskito. (clap-clap.)
I fear not a single bandito. (clap-clap.)
My manners are mellow.
I'm sweet like the Jell-o,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o (clap-clap.)"
And we can't forget the David Shannon books!
Besides the "No,David!" series, we love the pirate series!


Of course we all love Junie B. Jones! Although I will say that her horrible grammar grates. I am probably the only mother in America that stops to correct her grammar when I read this to my kids....(It's a weird thing with me...see my earlier post...101,or more things about me...)

This is Chase's absolute favorite book! I'll hear him in his room giggling, and I know that he's reading this....he's read it at least 6 times, and the good news is, the second book just came out. Chase and I have a date to go to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to pick it up!


Chase also loves the Judy Moody books plus the one about her brother "Stink" as she calls him...


Sadly, the girls have long outgrown their bedtime stories from Lance and I, but they still read them to themselves. Here are just a few of their favorites:
They LOVE "The Lightning Thief" Series"

the "Twilight" Series...I'm right there with them on that one! (sigh!)Lance makes fun of us, but guess what? HE"S read them too!!! (His curiosity got the better of him...he wanted to know what the heck it was we were talking about all the time...who's Edward? Who's Jacob?)

Madi loves the "Inkheart" series too..I'll have to read this before the movie comes out!

The girls love ANYTHING by Gail Carson Levine

The Eragon series is great too...they skip so many details in the movie...we still enjoyed it though

I almost feel stupid for putting this up here...but it's a favorite...I think Madi's read the entire series three times or more...

I just love books. I love to look at them hold them and read them.I have a quote on the wall of our study that says,
"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill"
Henry David Thoreau
I won't bore you with my list of favorite books...yet...but I'd love to know yours!
This totally stresses me out.
What message are we sending here?--Disobey your mother, let strangers into the house to do whatsoever they please, and as long as it all gets cleaned up before she gets home, it's OK!
I've tried those things...they don't work...mom ALWAYS finds out!

And what's with"Green Eggs and Ham"? I wouldn't eat those either...Especially not with farm animals. What if you were chowing down on one of their relations? That would make for some very awkward dinner conversation...

I will say that I like the story of "The Star-Bellied Sneetches". This has a very good moral...despite it's gross lack of a color palate...like, be happy with who you are, don't give in to peer pressure, and don't get tattoos.

"the Grinch who stole Christmas" also has a very good message, so I will give the "doc" that! :)

OK, enough Dr. Seuss bashing...he's not that bad--really--I just tend to go off on tangents.Back to the subject at hand...
Bedtime stories. Our favorites.
"Once Upon a Time, The End (asleep in 60 seconds)" Has got to be my very favorite! My kids just crack up every time! It's hilarious!

Here are a couple of our favorite excerpts:
"John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt"
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
His name is my name too!
Whenever we go out,
The people always shout:
"John! John!, get in bed and be quiet!"
"Hickory, Dickory, Dock"
Hickory, dickory, dock.
A mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck eight. Oh my! It's late!
So the mouse went straight to bed.
"Jack and Jill"
Jack and Jill
went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water...
Jack! What are you doing out of bed in the middle of the night!?!
Another favorite of ours is,
"Skippy Jon Jones"
I particularly love this one because, not only is it cute, but I get to use my Spanish accent! OLE!

This little cat is a stinker. He gets sent to his room for being naughty, and ends up in his own make-believe world where he is a Chihuahua and he sings:
" My name is Skippito Friskito. (clap-clap.)
I fear not a single bandito. (clap-clap.)
My manners are mellow.
I'm sweet like the Jell-o,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o (clap-clap.)"
And we can't forget the David Shannon books!
Besides the "No,David!" series, we love the pirate series!


Of course we all love Junie B. Jones! Although I will say that her horrible grammar grates. I am probably the only mother in America that stops to correct her grammar when I read this to my kids....(It's a weird thing with me...see my earlier post...101,or more things about me...)

This is Chase's absolute favorite book! I'll hear him in his room giggling, and I know that he's reading this....he's read it at least 6 times, and the good news is, the second book just came out. Chase and I have a date to go to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to pick it up!


Chase also loves the Judy Moody books plus the one about her brother "Stink" as she calls him...

Sadly, the girls have long outgrown their bedtime stories from Lance and I, but they still read them to themselves. Here are just a few of their favorites:
They LOVE "The Lightning Thief" Series"
the "Twilight" Series...I'm right there with them on that one! (sigh!)Lance makes fun of us, but guess what? HE"S read them too!!! (His curiosity got the better of him...he wanted to know what the heck it was we were talking about all the time...who's Edward? Who's Jacob?)
Madi loves the "Inkheart" series too..I'll have to read this before the movie comes out!

The girls love ANYTHING by Gail Carson Levine

The Eragon series is great too...they skip so many details in the movie...we still enjoyed it though

I almost feel stupid for putting this up here...but it's a favorite...I think Madi's read the entire series three times or more...

I just love books. I love to look at them hold them and read them.I have a quote on the wall of our study that says,
"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill"
Henry David Thoreau
I won't bore you with my list of favorite books...yet...but I'd love to know yours!

10 comments:
And I thought I had read every kid book on the planet! Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm not a huge Dr. Suess fan myself. But I do love the Sneeches and the Grinch and I love "Oh, the Places You'll Go." Haven loves the Cat in the Hat books and sometimes will ask to have them repeated several times in one night. That is when I want to poke my eyes out. Oh, I also like, "There's a Wocket in my Pocket." Rhyming is fun. Another good David Shannon book is "A Bad Case of Stripes." And every one of my kids has loved "Go, Dog, Go." Thanks again for all the good suggestions. Did I ask you if you are on goodreads.com yet?
Thanks for the great book tips! We haven't read all of those. Do your girls like the "American Girl" books? they are Talbie's absolute favorites and it was because of those books that she started liking to read. She hated it before she discovered them.
I would love to know your favorite books! I am always trying to find a good book at the library! I did check out some of Jane Austens--and watched the first of the Masterpiece theater ones, Persuasion--great!
My kids love The Monster Who Ate My Peas--it is so cute (Wyatt/Conor age) the author's last name is Schnitzler or something? Ireland loves the Junie B. Jones ones and the Disney fairies series.
thanks for the recommendations. i HATE dr seuss, too. not just don't really like. HATE!!!!!!! maya knows it, too and will find a dr. seuss just to drive me nuts. the worst one is "there's a wocket in my pocket". it makes me want to throw things at the wall. for real.
Jen--I am not on goodreads.com yet...but I will check it out!
Kellie--My girls have all of the American girls books...Madi's the only one that really got into them though, but Lauren did really like Felicity..Since it's about a girl who gets a horse--of course! :)
Meg--I'll post my favorite books next!--and I'm going to pick up the monster who ate my peas when we go to B&N tomorrow! Thanks!
Nat--you crack me up!
Do you know what ward your friend's are in that moved here? I'll keep my ears open for the names!
i loved reading your literary reviews. i'll have to check out some of your picks for the kiddos. man, i need to start reading for "me" again. i am so out of the book loop right now! the last book i read was The Joy Luck Club like forever ago-i loved it. i also love jane austen stuff too.
Loved your book picks and you are far from the only Dr. Seuss hater. I loathe those books. Always have. Always will. (Some things never change!) Love, love, love the pirate books -- I think bedtime storytime has always been my favorite.
i love having you for a library! especially since my library books are so late that by the time that I find them and return them, I could have owned it. keep reading everything so I can borrow.
Wow! I love all of these book suggestions! Hooray. We are all about reading at our house (I am a huge book dork!!) We love Skippyjon Jones, too and I have wanted to read the Pirate books, but haven't yet...now we'll have to. I liked Twilight series, too! I'll have to put some of these bad boys on hold at the library asap--thanks woman!!
Post a Comment