Thursday, December 20, 2007

Who Stole The Candy From the Calendar?

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, this is the beloved Christmas Countdown Calendar from my youth! My mom made it in Relief Society when I was probably about 6yrs. old. It looks a little rough for the wear, but the sentiment is strong. Mom tried to update it from its former gold background to the present green, THEN she tried to throw it away years ago, but I rescued the doomed treat bearer!

As you can see, Santa has a bag full of pockets. One for each day leading up to Christmas. Mom always filled it with Hershey kisses and other chocolate candies, and if we ate our dinner all gone, we could have our candy out of the calendar! I have continued this sweet tradition with my own kids. Conor rarely gets to have his candy after dinner because he is a terrible dinner eater. Although, lately, no one has been getting any candy!...it seems to be disappearing! ( Which , I guess means SOMEONE is getting candy, it's just not me!) I have warned the kids about Sneaking candy out of the calendar....I was getting ready to let them all have it, when I caught the thief red-handed! When we were potty training Wyatt, we bribed him with "potty treats" . When he would go on the potty, he would get an m&m, or something similar. This practice has pretty much ceased until recently....I guess all of that candy hanging there in the kitchen is just too much for Wyatt, so he decided to re-instate the program. Every time he goes potty, he goes and helps himself to a "potty treat" from the calendar....

As you can see from the sparsely filled calendar, he's gone potty quite a bit this month...oh, well, by the fifth kid,...whatever works....however, as a result, I keep the candy up in a cupboard where he can't reach!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Wyatt! What a kid! It cracks me up that he is the candy thief!! Love him!

Kristi said...

That Wyatt is a genius!! I think we all deserve a treat after we use the potty, so I don't blame him one bit! That story cracks me up. :)

Fantastic Five said...

that is so funny. i promise that i haven't taken a single piece!

Steve said...

I would watch out for those friends of yours, the Fullers. That one red head loves candy. I think the calendar is great to have. Brings back childhood memories with my family.