Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Pancake Breakfast...sort-of

The image ���http://www.retrojunction.com/shop/images/products/cookiess.jpg��� cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Christmas Baking! It brings back such great memories of my childhood! I try to keep up the traditions my family, and my husband's family so that our kids will have the same sweet memories.So, like many of you, I have been living in the kitchen cooking up a storm! Sugar cookies, candy, etc...I do feel a bit like the red hen though...everyone wants to taste the dough, or the frosting, or some chocolate left on the spoon, but then they all disappear until it's all finished, then they come out of the woodwork ready to chow down on the goods!

This being the weekend before Christmas, and a Saturday morning, I thought I'd make a fun Christmas Breakfast using the darling Christmas Pancake Molds that my friend Valory gave me...
Cute right? I also picked up some chocolate, mint pancake mix the other day, so my plan was set. I will make these amazingly cute and festive pancakes and it will be the start of my children's most treasured Christmas memory yet! So,I get out my mixing bowl,mix up the yummy smelling pancake batter, read the instructions for their use (of course!) And I begin. The instructions are simple:1)Put pancake mold on pre-heated griddle. Check. 2)Pour a 1/2 cup of batter into mold. Check.
3)when top of pancake is bubbly, simply remove non-stick, easy clean mold from pancake and lightly flip over with a spatula. Right. FIRST of all, the "non-stick" molds aren't that non-sticky...I could NOT get the suckers to release!! Finally, after some very violent shaking, the thing plops in a gooey, spreading mess that resembles a melted snowman rather than a snowflake, gingerbread man or reindeer.Hmmm. OK, maybe it was just a fluke...I try again...same dang result...one more time, I think I might be getting the hang of it kind-of...Nope.

By now, I'm extremely miffed and cursing Williams-Sonoma, Martha Stewart, Norman Rockwell, and Betty Crocker...these people are MASTERS of trick photography. Lance stops by to see how it's going, since he can hear my cursings at the blasted things from across the house. He takes one look at my creations, and then at the picture of what they're SUPPOSED to look like, and says," You should make them look like the picture" I give him the stink eye -which he is very familiar with, then he says," But it's OK if you make the Picasso kind..."However, still determined to provide my children with a magical Christmas holiday breakfast, I bail on this project, make regular shaped pancakes, and copying an idea from Conor's class holiday party, make Rudolph pancakes.
Feeling quite proud of myself for single-handedly saving my children's Christmas memories, I excitedly called them down for breakfast.As they filed into the kitchen ,I hear things like,"I already ate some cereal", and "Oh, do we HAVE to have pancakes?", and my personal favorite, when Wyatt walked in, he burst into tears and cried," I SAID I wanted a Gingerbread man!" I roll my eyes and start mumbling under my breath about how un-grateful my kids are and that children in Africa would LOVE Rudolph pancakes...Lance, the sweet man that he is, has everyone sit down and gives a nice little speech/pep-talk about how nice mom is to make the holidays so much fun, and thank you for the work, and everyone better take a bite...thanks sweetie! :)
Wyatt bit the head off of the maimed form of a gingerbread man pancake that I gave him, and Conor re-arranged his to look like a Santa and ate off his eyes and nose and they both left the table claiming they were "full".



Whatever.

7 comments:

andrea said...

You seriously kill me! Thank you for the laugh, and for the knowledge that the same stuff that happens at my house happens to others as well. I could seriously hear you cursing those pancake molds!

Funny part is, someday, when your kids are grown, they will tell stories of the wonderful reindeer and gingerbread man pancakes their sweet mother made them growing up, and all the disaster will be forgotten.

Next time, either dunk the molds in Pam, or just bag it and go to IHOP!

Jan said...

Ah, Steph!! Isn't that the truth though? Mom goes nuts trying to do something 'fun' for the kiddoes and that's how it ends up. Gotta love that Lance for his pep talk - -what a man!

Unknown said...

You crack me up!! I really liked your rudolph pancakes though I thought they were great!

Kellie said...

I love it! I feel that way at Christmas. I spent all night making cookies for a little cookie table we're setting up tomorrow after I teach Relief Society. I am a cookie PRO and I couldn't get a batch of cookies to turn out for the life of me! It was just because I was making them for other people!

I got your Christmas card today. Great letter!!

100 Percent Cottam said...

this is why i don't bother! why does no one care?! ah well. such it is in teh life of a mama...

Nat said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets frustrated when I slave in the kitchen to do something nice or fun for the fam and all you get is complaining about how they wanted something different. They weren't too bad, I could tell it was a gingerbread man and a star! Rudolph was really cute too.

Mar said...

Steph, you're fabulous. I don't think I'd go to such lengths to salvage a Christmas memory or breakfast. well done! Miss you guys.