I've mentioned before that my
friend Candice and I do Interior
Decorating together. It's a passion
for both of us and we have a lot
of fun working together! BUT
IT IS HARD WORK! For example...
for the last two weeks we've
been working on the bathrooms
at a house of a friend of mine.
Her house is about 12 years old--
although she just bought it 6 years
ago, and she's ready to have it
updated! The original owners who
built the house decided it was
a good idea to wall paper...everywhere...
floor to ceiling... straight onto
the drywall. Crap. Now, I understand
that wallpaper had it's day. I learned
to hang wallpaper from my dad as
we hung it at my house growing up...
along with the bad words he said
when he was doing it... :) But as I
said, wallpaper HAD it's day....
and that day is NOT today...
Let me tell you. Trying to remove
wallpaper from drywall is a pain
in the butt! Usually, we do a Venetian
plaster right over the top of it, or some
bead board wainscot, but i n the kids'
bathroom we're doing, she would
just like it painted, thus... the
removal of the offending paper, so
that we can re-texture the wall and
do a nice linen faux finish on it.
We've been at it for two weeks....
technically it's been 6 days because
we only work up there on M,W, and F....
but dang! The Master Bath has been
better... we've only had to remove some
of the wallpaper because it was already
coming off... the rest, we've been able
to plaster over, and we began the demo
on the tile. Here's some pics of the last
house we did....
Master Bathroom with
Crazy, Migraine-inducing wallpaper before....
Master Bathroom -after (but before we got
the cabinet doors back on..)
Mucho better, no?
And here we have the Master Bath-tub area before...
And after....I'd MUCH rather soak in that tub...
Here's the Master Bed before....
there's NO WAY I could sleep with that retina
burning yellow....it would still seem like
daytime when you closed your eyes!
Ahhhhh! NOW you can relax and go to sleep...
Master bed-after
Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we?
These are wallpapers from the '70's




Oh BOY!!! This one comes in 2 colors!
and below we've got the nice and soft flocked paper...





Dang those are ugly...yep...everyone was on drugs...
Next we move into the '80's
Lots of florals and lots of Blue and Mauve...
My mom has always been good at decorating, so we did
indeed have a blue and mauve house...and I loved it!
...but that was in the '80's...




Next, we move into the 90's
Everyone was sick of the light colors
and so we moved into the darker, more rich colors
like Forest Green and Burgundy...my wedding colors...
and Navy with the Burgundy....again,
served it's purpose for the time...







Now we're in a new century, and
although wallpaper is pretty
much "out" in most area of the
house...there are still some
good uses for it...like accent
walls...just please apply it to a
painted wall (preferably a satin
or semi-gloss finish) So that
when you get sick of it...
and you WILL get sick of it ...
when you call us to come and
take it off,,,it will be MUCH
easier on your walls...and us!!... :)
These are some of the pretty and
up-to-date Damask, and Brocade papers
that are out there right now...also,
you can't really go wrong with a
classic Toile...I still prefer paint,
and then accent these patterns in
your pillows, window treatments, etc...






SO...in conclusion....and I realize this
post is ENTIRELY too long...but I've
just got to be the Simon Cowell for a
minute here....IF you have ANY of the
70's, 80's, or 90's type wallpaper in
your home,it's time to update...
it will increase the value of your home up to
$50,000 !!! Seriously! No one else
loves you enough to tell you,
so I am going to be the bad guy here...
UPDATE!!! You'll be SO glad you did!

17 comments:
I suppose that since by decorating skills rank somewhere in the negative range that I at least escaped any sort of wallpapering. That is not to say that you couldn't have a heyday at my house! I wish you would. You guys are very talented. I love that master bathroom.
Have you ever read the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman? In short it is about a woman who is driven crazy by the yellow wallpaper in her bedroom. It's one of my favorite short stories. Maybe that is why I've avoided wallpaper.
Good luck!
Holy cow wallpaper!!! What a nightmare! Nice job on all the rooms Steph! I love it. My mom had the dark blue and rose color wallpaper from the 90's in her house...ALL over her house. They finally tore it out down last winter and repainted, much better!
Oh - it's funny what we think is "in style" and then get sick looking at it 10 years later! I have just finished a little remodeling project of my own. Stayed tuned. I'll probably post pictures soon on the ole blog!
Oh, wallpaper. Yuk. I'm so not good at the interior design stuff but I will never do wall paper. Ever. Thanks for the good advice!
So this past Jan, Feb while I was at mom's house, this is exactly what I did. Strip old wallpaper (do you remember mom's house?? TONS AND TONS OF FLORAL WALLPAPER) Now she has new carpet and freshly painted walls. I WISH SHE WOULD POST PICTURES!!!! Anyway, now it's my turn to do my OWN house. You're a great decorator. Come on over and give me some ideas.
is it wrong that i adore the 70s wallpaper?! i think it's so cute. i mean, i don't want it hanging in my house, but i do love it...
I remember we had RED Fuzzy wall paper in our house. And please do NOT forget the GREAT statues that our Dad's carried across the Mexican boarder to go with the great wall paper. Oh yes those were the days...
Ahhh yes!..Mexican statues....and pots!...good times!
All from Ensenada...like the oranges, right? :)
I'm loving the paint job Candice did in my house right now. I love feeling more "updated" ;)
Ha ha ha. I have always HATED wall paper! Anyway, you guys did a fabulous job on the re-do! I love it! I think that when you are in SLC this summer, you must come by my house and help me decorate! Also, I can't wait to see what you do to your new house!!
my aunt totally had that 70's chef wallpaper in her kitchen loved it. my mom wallpapered the whole house when they built it in 1994 and she can't seem to let go of it. it's gonna be a fight. the remodel is astounding! congrats
Oh yes that blasted wall paper, still have one room to do, maybe I will wait for you to visit and you can help since you are so good at it.. But remember at one time it did have its place... we all get old sooner than later. Love ya
I never did like wallpaper anyways! I like your before and after picks their great!
I think the best defense against wall paper is to NEVER put it up in the first place..it's kind of like drinking and smoking..if you never try it you'll never have a problem :)
Ewww! I hate wallpaper. What a pain in the old ruckus to take down. I love the master bath you did. Very classy! You both must have a lot of fun doing this together. such Talent
Wow. You did beautiful work on the decorating. Loved the wall paper flash back. My parents had some funky green flocked pattern in their living for years. Way back when green and orange were the colors to have. They had green carpet and some funky ornages rugs too
great job ladies! i agree-wallpaper gots to go. yikes. i hate it. i am so glad this house we bought didn't have any to remove! the people that lived here before us had good taste-yea!
Steph- I need to have to reupdate my parents house. My mom has pink wall paper everywhere and you should see their master bedroom. Someday I will hire you to decorate my house, when I get I house that is.
Post a Comment