Sunday, April 6, 2008

Conference Weekend = Heaven



















I LOVE conference weekend!
It hasn't always been like that though.
I remember growing up, I HATED it!
We had the fun traditions of having
sour dough pancakes conference morning...
and then going to Grandma Larsen's for lunch
with all the cousins then watching the last
session at her house...a tradition my parents
continue at their house today.
But at home. both Saturday AND Sunday,
my "mean" parents used to MAKE me and my
sister sit and watch ALL of the sessions.
We did our absolute BEST to show my
parents how bored to death we were...
that we just might DIE of boredom if
we had to sit there for one more minute
listening to a bunch of old men with
monotone voices that put us to sleep.
My parents HAD to have been so annoyed
with us and our dramatics, but just sat and
listened and insisted we do the same
because it is what we were supposed
to be doing--whether we liked it or not.
Now that I have my own children, and they
have pulled the same "I might die of boredom"
tricks. I realize what a blessing it is to have parents
who have taught me to BE where I'm supposed
to BE, DOING what I'm supposed to be DOING
just because it's the right thing to do. I truly
believe we are blessed when we are doing what we
are supposed to be doing--whether we like it or not.
I loved the talk yesterday by Sister Cheryl Lant
the General Primary Pres. on raising our children
with righteous traditions.I have been blessed with
such a home growing up, and as a result, I
continue those righteous traditions in my own home.
It was a neat experience yesterday to stand in my
family room with my children with the millions
of other members of this church, wherever they
were watching, to sustain a new prophet--
Thomas S. Monson. What a historic event to be a part of!
I think it's safe to say, my kids were happy to be able to
take part in this inspired ordinance rather than being
anywhere else, doing whatever else...
So with that, I will enjoy watching conference this
day with my whining boys (the girls have learned to love it!)
in my efforts to hear what the lord would have us
hear and be doing what the lord would have us be doing...
because that's where we should be, and what we should be doing.
And for this, we will be blessed.


10 comments:

Jan said...

I'm with you 100%. I was the same type of kid you were only we were listening on the radio (I'm OLD!). I too loved Sis. Lant's talk -- she's awesome and makes me want to do better with my calling. And someday, those boys of yours will be grateful. I promise!

100 Percent Cottam said...

agreed, agreed, agreed! it has been a wonderful weekend!

hoLLy said...

i agree 100% too! great comments about conference. it sounds like you had awesome parents, which in turn, made you one too! your kids are lucky to have such righteous examples. i love conference too! i only get to "listen" to half of it but i do hear most of it:) having a baby kinda makes it hard sometimes. hallelujah for satellite!

Unknown said...

Hi Steph,
It's Melinda. I've never looked at anybody's blog before but Bethany's. Wow, you've got quite the blog.Some day I'll understand the whole computer thing more. It seems like it takes so much time when your first learning and Patience, which I don't have!!
Sorry to hear about your health. You need to look at drnatura.com. It's a cleansing program that will help your body so much since you've been on all those medications. Read it, if you feel good about it order it for the 3 months. I've had many clients and Bethany do it and they've felt so much better. If you know anything about Alkaline and Acidic "FORMING" foods (you can look that up to) it teaches you the foods that are alkaline and acidic. I'm not a doctor obviously but when you take any medications and/or antibiotics they are incredibly Acidic. It sounds like your body is way to Acidic and you've got to Alkalize it. That cleanse will help detox all the medications out of you and I'll be shocked if you don't feel better. Plus u need to get a list of all the Alkaline foods and start eating alot more of them. (Its weird but its just the word of wisdom to the "T") Fruits, Veggies, whole grains and stuff. I dont mean to tell you all this but I really felt when I read your blog that I needed to tell you all this. What?? It can't hurt any--right? You already dont feel good, (so sorry)! (I did the cleanse to for 3 months to) Your pictures are so fun. Contessa leaves this fall to college at Utah State. I so wish I could of had more kids. I will be so sad and lonely, I feel way to young to be an empty nester at 38. Conference was great!! Hope all is well with everyone else. If this works will chat more later. Please get that cleanse though! I hate to see you suffering. And more Alkaline foods KKK!!! Love Melinda

Chelsey said...

We loved it too. It's so nice to hear the words and counsel of the leaders. Anna gets so excited when the choir sings and she will hum along with them.

Nat said...

Very well put!! Jordan and Lauryn aren't quite old enough to "make" them sit and listen, and unfortunately for Kade he was at his moms this weekend, so he didn't watch any of it, but for us we didn't have to listen to the bored comments from him. :) I agree with having great parents that teach us what is right, I think our dads were both raised with great parents, which made them good parents, which in turn makes us good parents. :) Hopefully we all keep it going. I love that picture by the way, you always find the best pictures to put on here! Have a great day.

Jori said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I am with you. Conference was completely wonderful. Thanks for asking about mel. After surgery I am cancer free. Let's just hope it stays that way.:)

Kellie said...

It was a wonderful weekend. I just love Conference too. I was sad to see Sister Tanner released but I knew it was just about her time. I love her! What a treat it was to sustain President Monson too. Love your blog!

Natalie Scott said...

Here here! Conference is such a boost. And it sounds like your family was a lot like mine growing up. We rolled our eyes right through conference as well as scripture study, FHE, etc. Now here I am demanding that my kids sit and listen and, doggone it, ENJOY it!! Hmmmm.

Kristi said...

Right on, sister! Great thoughts, Steph. I loved all of the talks, but especially Elder Ballard's.Whoa--Mama needed that! This is one of my favorite weekends o' the year and I'm always sad when it's over.