So I'm at the grocery store the other day, I walk up and I'm greeted with the usual "Hello Ma'm! Did you find everything you were looking for?" I reply with the usual ""Yes, Thank You." Then it begins...."do you want plastic?"
"Yes."
Then the bagger walks up,"Do you want plastic?"
"Yes, please"
"Sorry m'am...did you say PLASTIC?"
"Yes, plastic will be just fine."
The cashier says, "She said she wanted plastic."
"Plastic bags then?"
"Yes! Yes! I want plastic!!"
Sheesh.
Let's announce it over the P.A. "We have a woman here on checkout 5 who wants to use PLASTIC bags!!"
I admit it! I am an environmental destroyer! Plastic, plastic, plastic!
I also used disposable diapers on all of my children.
I throw all of my cereal boxes away....and my newspaper...and my milk cartons...
I do not save my dryer sheets and re-use them as toilet paper.
And another thing...I HATE compact flourescent bulbs!!!
There. I said it.
I am not very good at recycling everything.
I am sorry.

I know that re-useable bags are the thing now

...and I think they are wonderful....however....what a pain! Do you know how many of those I would need to shop for my family of 7?...a Plethera...that's how many...

100% Cottam is all about these babies! And is having a re-usable bag giveaway...so check her out!
Don't get me wrong...I am all for saving and protecting the environment. And I do recycle my plastic grocery bags....in fact look what one can do when one has absolutely NOTHING ELSE to do...







13 comments:
My grandma used to make the bags out of bags. My kids loved them. And they were surprisingly sturdy. Good luck in your recycling efforts. Eric is the driving force in our household. We try to recycle almost everything. But I still get plastic in the grocery store. Maybe I should check out those bags. At least costco can just pile everything in big cardboard boxes.
Once again - you made me laugh :)
That is funny!! I'm with you Steph, I'm just not so hip on paper bags. They are way harder to carry with all your groceries. Maybe they could make paper bags with handles at the grocery store. And hello, everywhere I shop you have to ask for paper or they just default you to plastic. Love that post!!
They make good rain hats. I'm glad I had it. I didn't get my hair wet. So there.
Recycling? Whats that? Um, are we supposed to recycle? I'm with you Steph, the only thing I reuse is the plastic grocery bags also. There isn't really anything else I will save long enough for it to have another purpose.
yeah, i'm not in the cool i use reusable bags crowd. i do think its a great effort people are making though! i'm just not one of them. good thing this world has those people:) i do reuse my plastic bags too though. so, i guess that counts for something! this was funny to read because i am just the same! i have an outfit quite similar to the one the wally mart dude is wearing too. and i look just as good in it.
Steph,
I was either laughing or saying "yes yes" in my head agreeing with you. although, we do recycle some items...I think it a bit of a pain. Your posts are so creative!
you evil, evil woman with your plastic bags. har har, i kid. i do have bags to spare, though, when you're ready to convert.
The SAME thing happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to HEB! I'm asked at least a dozen times if I want plastic...yes please!! I use the bags for everything...tying up dirty diapers, liners for my small garbage cans, etc. I keep wondering how all these people are getting along without plastic bags??!
And I'm with you on the reusable bags. There aren't enough in Austin for one of my huge grocery shopping trips!
I used to recycle our newspapers, but then I got sick of them piling up and being all over the house, so I quit! I too am a plastic bag shopper also.
Steoh, Steph, Steph...this was AWESOME!!! Firstof all, your description of the scene at the grocery store made me laugh out loud, and Secondly, that picture of the man dressed in a plastic bag will forever be seared into my brain...thank you for that!!! I love your blog, woman...
Natalie is so good about using the re-usable bags and I'm so NOT. Sigh. I'm pretty good with the recycling but I haven't made it to using the bags yet.
You are too funny, I recycle those plastic bags, I fill them with more garbage.. so hows that.
Post a Comment