I love this tag!
Everyone sharing tips about stuff they know!!
My sis-in-law MEGAN
wrote tips on diet and exercise, so check hers out!
Her sister Brittany, wrote some tips on how to put good outfits together, so Check that out!
I have been asked to give tips on Interior Decorating.
I am in noway, shape, or form an expert.
I did not go to school for this, but I have been blessed with a natural ability for it, and frankly, I am obsessed with it.Through trial and error, I have learned much...and am STILL learning! That being said, I will share with you some simple things to do!
1- Update, Update, Update!!!!
I can not express how important this is!!!
Doing this alone. will not only increase the value of your home, but if it's something you're always kind of working on, it saves you money in the end. I can't tell you how many people want to "update" their houses all at once, but are then surprised at how much it costs to do so. How do you update?...I'll tell you...
2- Change out all of your light fixtures to more updated ones. ESPECIALLY if they have Brass and glass---I always tell clients--"Brass Causes Cancer!!!" Home Depot and Lowes carry a lot of updated lighting for very reasonable prices....(they also carry some Brass, so watch out!)
If you don't have a handy husband, hire an electrician to change them out for you. It's worth it, but shop around for the best price.
3-Change out sink fixtures.
Unless you custom built your home and already got nice fixtures, you probably have shiny chrome (I also have issues with shiny chrome...)
By updating these to either a satin nickel, or oil-rubbed bronze, you will instantly update your bathroom by 10 years. Again, Home Depot, and Lowe's carry some for decent prices, but you can also find some online for good deals too. One thing I learned the hard and expensive way was, buying a different brand than was already installed. This doesn't matter as much for the sinks, but for the tub faucets and showers, IT DOES! So, if you have Delta faucets now, buy Delta Faucets to replace. It makes it very simple to change them out. Again...hire if you don't have a handy hubby...it's worth it!
4-Update countertops.
Again, by updating your countertops, you update by 10 years!
If you have formica countertops, you can tile right over the top of them.
If you have cultured marble, you may have to have the whole thing removed and replaced. However, if this isn't in your budget, you can buy some really neat tile borders to place above the backsplash which makes a big difference! ( I did this in my bathrooms)
Of course, Granite, and Silestone products are awesome for the kitchen, but pricey, but you will get your money back if you ever sell your house! If you can't afford to do all of your counters, just do your island then tile the rest.
5-PAINT!!!
But NOT FLAT PAINT!!!
(Flat paint also causes cancer.)
DO NOT BE AFRAID OF COLOR!!
I could go on and on about this,
Paint is by far the best way to make the biggest impact, for the least cost.
And guess what? If you pick a color and you don't like it when you get it on the wall?...paint over it! I will say this, if you're really nervous, just buy a quart of the color, and try it out on a spot on the wall, if you don't like it, try another. At Home Depot, Ralph Lauren paints sell "trial packs" ...$4 bags of paint to try.
The kind of paint is just as important. Flat paint should only be used for ceilings...even then, I don't use it, but you can...
The BEST paint I have found is Sherwin Williams Duration in an eggshell finish. This is the GREATEST stuff if you have kids! You can scrub anything off of it, and it goes on like yogurt!--Excellent coverage. When, I painted my ceiling red...it only took one coat, followed by a light touch up coat. Sherwin Williams will match any color chip you bring in. I love Home Depot's Behr colors, but I hate their paint, so I just always take it to my buddies at S.W. and they mix it for me.
Sorry this is so long...It's my soapbox.
Just one more thing. In general, when i find a color i like, I always get one shade lighter. Paint dries darker, and I have found through trial and error, this usually works well!
****Also important---don't forget the ceiling!! You can make big impact and get a designer look by painting your ceiling a color other than white!*****
6-Go Neutral on your furniture.
If you buy neutral colored furniture, you can easily change pillows, curtains, rugs, and paint colors to change the whole look of a room for very little cost...and for someone like me, who likes to completely change over a room every 3 years...this is very good advice! :)
7-Less is more when it comes to window treatments.
Simple panels hung by ring clips, a straight Valance (not much gathering), Roman Shades, Plantation shutters, Bamboo shades..all of these are great ways to add color and style.
Also, when hanging curtains, there are a few tricks you can do to increase impact and the amount of light let into the room. When hanging panels, always hang your brackets 2-4 inches from the outside edge of your window. This makes your windows look bigger, and allows maximum light in. Also, if you hang Valences above the window, so that only the bottom 2-4 inches are covering the window, it adds height ,making your windows look bigger, and again, doesn't block light coming in.
8-Accessorize!!!!
Just as important as jewelry with an outfit!
Accessories are the little details that add interest and really finish off a room.
Pillows, rugs, lamps, chunky candlesticks (no brass!!), large finials, greenery (no ivy), wall sconces, large mirrors, large framed art, unique, picture frames etc....
People often say, "I don't know what to buy, or where to put it...". I often tell people, "If you like it, buy it". That is not to say go buy anything and everything your little heart desires, just, if you are in this process, and you see something you really like, buy it and take it home. You'll figure out where to put it...if not, call a friend and ask for their opinion.
Buying accessories adds up quick, so buy cheap! If you have a Kirklands--they always have neat, unique accents for cheap, and if you sign up on their email list, they'll send you weekly coupons for 25% off. Kohls has neat stuff sometimes, so does Target (I LOVE Target!!!) Cut out your weekly 40% off coupon for Michaels, boutiques, Hobby Lobby has really cool stuff, and has awesome sales (for all of you Texans), TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc...
9-Furniture placement.
Don't get caught in the everything up flat against the wall rut. It's boring. Try angling a few pieces, or angle the floor rug. Sometimes, just re-arranging furniture can change the whole feel, of a room.
10- To make a small room look bigger, hang a large mirror on the wall, the reflection from the mirror, visually makes a room feel more spacious, and it reflects light. You can also paint an "accent " wall with a shade darker than the rest of the room. This visually pushes the wall back, making it look deeper than it actually is.
A great thing to do is look at magazines for paint color ideas, and things you like and copy them! Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma Home, Ballard Designs...are some of my faves to find ideas.
A great thing to do is look at magazines for paint color ideas, and things you like and copy them! Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma Home, Ballard Designs...are some of my faves to find ideas.
Well there you have it... hope it helps...if you have any questions, fire away...


3 comments:
thanks for all of those awesome tips!!! we haven't really started decorating the house too much yet. we've been dumping the funds into furniture we need and car crap. i can't wait until i have some $ to spend on getting some better decor, new lamps, window treatments, etc.
Thank you! I have told you about my complete lack of talent in this department. So this is great! I have somewhere to start. It was also comforting to me to know I have done a few of these things. But not enough. Thanks again for sharing.
that was the best post- what a great tag idea! i love those suggestions, thanks so much!
Post a Comment