Monday, February 25, 2008

Being the Good Parent

You read the books, you go to church, you watch Little House on the Prairie....you know how a "good" parent should be handling each situation with you kids. You should let kids grow by learning to do things themselves.
The problem? Doing it the right way is a pain in the butt. It takes kids twice as long and will not be done right. It's soooo much easier to just do it yourself. Anyone else trying to get out the door for church and watching your kids take 12 1/2 minutes trying to tie their own shoes? When will Velcro dress shoes be in?

Don't believe me? (You must not have kids). OK, a few examples:

1. Let them learn to eat on their own, or just feed them?
2. Tie their own shoes?
3. Fishing - Let them cast and deal with the tangles?

In the end, it's all worth it...I think. I'm actually surprised how little I've progressed since my days as a kid "helping" my dad. I thought of a few things Steph still lets me attempt on my own as she trains me:

  1. Steph: "Lance, will you go find the ______" => Me: look for 3.27 sec => Steph: "What do you mean you can't find it ?"
  2. Steph: "Lance, will you get the kids dressed?" => Me: grab whatever => Steph: "Why is his underwear being used for a shirt?"
  3. Steph: "Lance, will you watch the kids?" => Me: watch TV => Steph: "I come home and find the kids on the roof?!? And why does Wyatt have a tatoo?!?"
Another reminder came on Saturday. I was in the garage, pretending to be busy since it was chore time, when I spotted my "wire-box". Inside I found my Do-it-yourself "Amazing Kitchen Timer"! To fully appreciate it, a little history is in order:
When we first got married, Steph had a little potpourri warmer (looked like a little crock-pot with weeds in it). She was complaining that she often forgot to unplug it at night and wished it would just turn off.
I, being an electrical nerd that I was/am, went to work. After about $42, and three weekends, I had built the Amazing Kitchen Timer (tm). Behold:


OK, I'm not really sure what all the knobs, lights, and do-hickeys are for any more. And frankly, when I pulled it out Saturday, I was scared to plug it in and find out. Honestly, if you saw that thing on a plane, what would you do? I do recall that it was a huge pain and didn't really work that well. However, Steph, always the good sport, used it faithfully for a few weeks...until the smoke...and the fire...and the firemen...
It was then that we bought the "Not really that Amazing Kitchen Timer" from Walmart for $6.78:

Bottom line: DIY Kids turn into DIY husbands - both try hard, but they sometimes take a lot of patience.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lance, You remind me a lot of Eric. What I really want is cable tv and DVR. So Eric built us a DVR our of an old computer. As of yesterday it actually works. But I'm going to watch for the smoke. Thanks for the warning.

Hacking it up said...

Oh sweetie!--I love being your parent! Thanks for teaching me so much patience! ;)

You are awesome! I'm glad you're a do-it-yourself-er...you've certainly earned your patience merit badge with me and the DIY projects I'm always doing on the house and yard...and you always get recruited!:x

hoLLy said...

that Amazing Kitchen Timer is just simply that....amazing...

Chelsey said...

You guys are awesome parents. And patience is something I don't think you are lacking. Love the story. But why do the husbands always leave when there is something the kids are supposed to be doing something!!?!?

Steve said...

I am married to a DIY-er. There are so many positives from trying things your self and you set a good example for your kids. You and Steph are great for each other and do a fantastic job with your family. How long were you in the garage on chore day???? I always get made fun of when I try to clean out the garage.