Monday, June 2, 2008

Memorial Day weekend...

We love to travel!
We love to see things we've never seen before; meet people you wouldn't otherwise meet...
And this trip was no exception.

Driving along the highway, I look over and see an RV hauling this behind it.
Lance was sleeping and missed, it. But when we pulled into the next gas station...there it was again! Me being a nosy-rosy had to know what that was all about. So, I go over to the rough looking fella, filling his RV with gas and say, " Nice trailer ya got there."
By now, Lance looks up from filling our car with gas, sees me talking to this "Hell's Angel", about chokes, then comes striding over in a hurry to see what the crap I'm doing.

He turns out to be a very nice man,with a very colorful vocabulary, who is more than excited to show off his handi-work.
It is a BBQ.
Yep, a coffin BBQ.
He turns to me and says, "What'd ya think was in there,...Grandpa?"
"Well...Yes." I said.
He's accessorized it with a Plethera of Halloween decorations.

His wife pulls it behind this. She is quite fond of Tarantulas....or in HIS words,"Triantulas"...I guess those are the three-legged cousins of the Tarantulas...

Custom.
Obviously.

He rides beside her astride this Skull and Dagger, and Whisky flask mobile.


He custom made them. I said, "Well, you should have your own show..."
His reply, "@#$%!! Yeah!!! Those @#$%!! don't know what the @#$%!! they're doing! I could teach them some @#$%!! stuff!"
me: "I'll bet you could..."

He then tells us about the time they had his sisters' wedding where they all were riding these joined by friends on their motorcycle creations.
He said it looked more like a "Funeral Percussion" than a wedding....Percussion? I was not aware that they generally HAD drums at Funerals....whatever.

He then guides us around to the door of his RV.
Inside looked like a Halloween store.
Headstones, skull and crossbones curtains, daggers, etc.
I said, "wow."
He said, "You should see our house!...it's like a regular Halloween store!"
Lance, who just finished reading some freaky thriller story about a guy who chopped up people and hid them in his RV, was freaked out and said, "Welp! Time to go! Thanks for showing us your stuff!" As he grabs my arm and starts leading me away ....
"Bye!" I say...

Finally we make it to our destination ,Tombstone, Az.
where we meet up with my sis and her fam.
My parents were expected to meet us there the next day. What they DIDN'T expect, was their brand-new Yukon to break down...again.....
Luckily, they made it as far as Tuscon, where they were able to leave their car at the dealership, and Lance and Doug went and picked them and their trailer up!
As usual, we had a great time being with family!
The next day we checked out old town Tombstone.



We checked out the re-enactment of the shoot out at the O.K. CorralI have to say, these were some of the worst actors I'd ever seen...I wanted to shoot them all myself...
These Mannequins just outside the amphitheater did a better job...
The boys all wanted a picture with them anyway...

Tombstone was celebrating it's "Wyatt Earp Days", so EVERYONE was dressed up in period clothing...except us....which is fine, because all of the women there looked like a bunch of whores...sorry, but they did....However, this guy got my vote for the best Wyatt Earp costume

This Senor would make a great "El Guapo", no? (For all you Three Amigos fans)

Another "Wyatt Earp" conversing with my dad about the problems with all the whores in Tombstone... Dad's suggestion was to make them all go watch that shoot out we'd just seen at the O.K. Corral...that'll run 'em outta town...
...or maybe this tough guy could...

They don't call him Buffalo Chase for nothin'

"You talkin' to me? ...YOU? Talkin' to ME?...Huh PUNK?"
"...Well, go on ahead....make my day, ya sorry, wicked little hombre...."


Every Tombstone has to have it's Epitaph.

Oh. I get it.

Next up, we hitched a ride on the stagecoach


...what a way to travel...and I thought we were all too close to each other in the Suburban...

Here we are all headed down into the "Good Enough" Mine for a tour

...watch your heads.

In the mine Wyatt dug up... a rock. Marvelous...I guess that's why it's called the "good Enough" mine...
Here's what you look like when you've been under ground for too long...
..and here's me thinking, "Crap. I hope the person who wore this disgusting helmet before me didn't have lice...."

Later, Brianne thought she'd see what it was like to be a horse...
...then they tried their hand at some ropin'...

Bullseye!...I mean horn....


Barney Fife decided to come check out Tombstone too...

random pics. of the girls and Brianne...cute gals!
...and me? I'm just a law-abiding citizen...
Stay tuned for more Tombstone trip pictures!

9 comments:

Nat said...

Man, you guys always have such a fun time on your trips! I bet it was nice to get together with the family! Can't wait for more pics.

Mindi said...

your family looks like they would be aLOT of fun to hang with....

i love that you got those photos of that coffin bbq--i LIVE for that kind of crap!
way to go!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome, Steph. I guess it's worth it to miss you while you're on vacation when you come back with such great stuff.

Jan said...

I'm still laughing at the guy with the coffin BBQ -- how in the world do you get to run into someone like that, anyhow? LOVE IT!! Looks like a fun trip, all in all!

Helen said...

Now all is said and done. I can look back and say we had a good time. I was a little stressed at the time wondering if I would get home in time.
We always enjoy being with your family. Great memories.

100 Percent Cottam said...

your wrap ups always crack me up, but this one takes the cake. sounds like a hoot!

Chelsey said...

I'm so glad you guys had fun. Bad luck for mom and dad though! Wish we could see you guys next week at the reunion, but we can't until you come up to Utah!

Kellie said...

What a fun trip. That is someplace Dave would love to visit! Great pictures too - you're a hoot!

Diane said...

Steph you are awesome and crack me up. I love the use of the word "plethera". I love it even more that you would actually strike up a conversation about his rig. He must have been proud.
Looks like a fun trip. You are so dang cute too! Love you on the pot. Fun memories. I laughed out loud a few times reading this.