Yesterday was Conor's surgery. He had to have a Tonsil and Adenoidectomy for sleep apnea.
When the Dr. came out of surgery, he just shook his head and said that Conor had what are called "Stealth Tonsils" which means they were rooted back into his neck wall and extended clear up into his upper palette....MUCH larger than anticipated. He said that when he pulled the first one out, everyone in the O.R. said, "Where did you get that?!?!?" He also said that his Adenoids were also much larger than he had originally thought...so, in short, they took out A LOT of tissue.
When the Dr. came out of surgery, he just shook his head and said that Conor had what are called "Stealth Tonsils" which means they were rooted back into his neck wall and extended clear up into his upper palette....MUCH larger than anticipated. He said that when he pulled the first one out, everyone in the O.R. said, "Where did you get that?!?!?" He also said that his Adenoids were also much larger than he had originally thought...so, in short, they took out A LOT of tissue.
...and here's pretty much the last thing we could get him to drink for the day...This poor kid had a TERRIBLE night.
I don't think I've ever seen such a horrible reaction to a T&A surgery.
He was in so much pain...despite the Tylenol with Codeine , he couldn't swallow ANYTHING.Plus, his throat swelled up so badly, that he had to breathe out of his mouth, and was still having difficulty. We had a humidifier on him all night, but he still ended up bleeding.Thankfully, after a priesthood blessing, it stopped. By the time morning came, he had 102 fever, was lethargic, and we STILL couldn't get any fluids down him. Mama called the Dr., and the Dr. said, He HAS to drink, or it's back to the hospital to stay!!! He ordered him a stronger pain medication and also an anti-inflamatory, and said if that didn't help by 3pm, then he was going to have to be admitted to the children's hospital.
So far, the new pain meds are helping a TON!!! as well as the anti-inflammatory. We were able to finally get him to drink some water and Gatorade and even eat a little soup....of course, later he threw it all up...but he still seems to be doing better...we'll keep praying for the little guy and a speedy recovery. Thanks to all of you friends and family who have been praying for him already! My poor baby.
We'll keep you posted.


13 comments:
poor conor:( my little bro had this done when he was about 4 or 5 and it was rough. but in the end, it was totally worth it. prayers your way! hope hes doing better soon!
Oh, poor Conor!! I have had him on my mind and in my heart since the surgery -- we have been and will continue to keep him in our prayers. I still remember my own tonsils/adenoids being removed -- and it's still (a zillion years later) truly terrible memory. It's rough.
Oh no! I'm so sorry! That stinks that he's having such a bad time.....and not enough hydration makes it worse.
I'll be sending prayers your way!!!
So sad!!! I feel so bad for Conor! Poor kid! I hope he feels better soon and will finally be able to have a good night sleep! We'll pray for him!
Steph, I have been thinking about you guys all week, and our family is praying for Conor every day. PLEASE let me know if you need anything at all. I know Lance is there, so that's probably a huge help. Poor little guy (and HANDSOME devil...who looks that adorable after a major awful surgery??), hope he gets feeling better very soon.
We've been thinking about you guys and poor Conor. That is not a fun thing to go through. Hope he is doing better and will heal quickly. Let us know if we can help in any way. Hang in there Conor!
Cute little boy. I don't like to see him hurt but I know that he will get better and I hope it's sooner than later. Give him kisses from Grandpa and Grandma.
That poor little guy! So sad! We are thinking of him and your family and hope he feels better soon. Hang in there!
poor little guy--hope he feels better. but hold on, it's gonna get a little worse before it gets better. hopefully there is enough codine for you and lance to take. trust me, you'll need it.
good luck!
ps--i thought T & A meant something else. hmmm........
poor baby! i hope he gets lots better really fast!
So glad he's on the mend. He'll sleep so much better now having all that gone!
What a little trooper! I hope he's feeling better.
Oh poor little Conor! I feel really stupid because I had no idea that he had surgery...I suck! I hope he gets feeling better! Give him hugs and kisses from us!
Post a Comment