Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Canyon of the Eagles--Lake Buchannan

Last Thursday, to celebrate school being out, we loaded up the trailer, hooked up the jet-ski, and headed for Canyon of the Eagles up on Lake Buchanan.

Lance pulls the trailer with the Burb'
and I pull the jet-ski with my baby...



After setting up camp, we head up to the restaurant there.

It has a beautiful view over-looking the lake


...yes, we were the largest party in there....that is until the party of 33 came...THEN they were wishing they had just us again....


Here's some shots from just outside the restaurant





I'm sick of getting my picture taken... I'm pretty sure the camera adds 25-30 lbs....oh wait...that was my peanut M&M's that did that....


Chase out on the hunt for...ticks and chiggars probably...
cutie pies :)





The next day we spent the morning at the pool. Of course, while I was collecting as much cancer as possible...the rest of the gang had a "dive-off"...they got some good diving skills...and splashing skills...



Later that afternoon, our good friends the Stouts met up with us, and we took the jet-ski out for some fun! The kids always have a great time just jumping on and off the tube together...again..we had a "jump-off"...literally...
Wyatt made great progress this year!! He did the knee board ALL BY HIMSELF!! Lance started out doing it with him, but was quickly told to drop off and let him do it himself! He didn't get up on his knees, he just stayed on his belly, but he held on the whole time, and had a blast...begging to do it again later!...pretty good for a 4 year old...

Later that night...much later!...we drove up to the Eagle Eye Observatory. It's one of the top observatories in the nation...and it was SO COOL!!

Here's Julie and Madi looking through one of the scopes...
Lance and Conor are looking through the other scope they had there.
..and here's pictures of what we saw!
Maybe I'm just stupid...or maybe it's because this was my first time looking through a telescope of this size, but I was amazed!This is M-13 a cluster of stars...in a galaxy far, far, away.... :)
This is Mars...blurry...not as impressive...but redd-ish none-the-less

the moon ...obviously...However, I saw no evidence whatsoever of a man living in there...nor did it look like cheese...
This was everyone's favorite...Saturn...It didn't even look real to me! It's like sure, you see pictures of Saturn and it's rings in National Geographic all the time...but to just be able to look through a telescope and see this?...AMAZING!!!
I've never seen so many stars out...advantages of being away from city lights.
I felt so small.

My kids really enjoyed it as well...I highly reccommend going there! The observatory is only open certain nights though, so call before you go.
HERE"S the website.




The next day we were all so sore and tired, we decided to take the "Vanishing Texas River Cruise"


It's a two hour tour (not three...thank heavens) that travels 7 miles up one of the Canyons nearby. There was some beautiful scenery

Fall creek falls

I like how the rock looks like it's flowing off as well...probably was...once...

We saw lots of wildlife...as well as livestock, since the ranchers all own the property lining the river...no Eagles though...You have to be there between November to March to see the Bald Eagle colonies...guess we'll have to come back...


Wyatt got a hold of the camera...


There were MANY interesting pictures of strangers' feet & heads...also lots of just water, and the sky...and a cow, I decided to just post a few of his better pics....

..of course, like any true artist...a self-photo...mostly
I think this is when Lance was saying, Hey! Give me back that camera...

As usual, we had a great time, and look forward to more of the same this summer! Lance is now OFFICIALLY on Sabatical! Hooray! He's got June and July off work--paid! Ya-hooo!


13 comments:

Jen V said...

Steph - you look so amazing! Seriously. Whatever - the camera adds 20 pounds - you look amazing. AMAZING.

Suzie said...

You are a party'n fam! Love that!
Love all the photos you take and post.
and especially the sassy ones of you!
Keep 'em coming!

hoLLy said...

how fun! if we ever move back to your area, can we pay you to hang out with you? :) and wow, that was one killa telescope...:)

100 Percent Cottam said...

you guys always party it up like rock stars! that looks like a blast!

Jan said...

Looks like tons of fun -- and I love it that Lance has June/July off -- paid! Live it up!

Chelsey said...

What a fun trip! Your kids are so cute! oh, yeah you and Lance are too. I love camping trips where you can see new things and do fun things! Yeah, Lance is off! We can't wait to see you! Anna is constantly pretending to talk to "aunt stephie" on the phone!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I feel like I just went on vacation with you--I wish! You no likey The Kite Runner, huh? I think I gravitate towards depressing books because then my own life seems much better by comparison. I thought that just the historical part of it was interesting. What did you think of The Count of Monte Cristo? Are you on goodreads.com yet?

Diane said...

This is one fun family trip! I love the observatory photos...amazing stuff. You are making some great memories for your kids! What fun parents you are.

Mindi said...

i love that you are dragging your kids out and making memories that they will take with them for a lifetime. sometimes it seems like so much work, but oh so worth it!

hey! lance is off for TWO MONTHS!!?? how do i get russ's bosses to go for that? lucky girl!

jenjamin said...

Way fun! but I think you guys are a bunch of wimps! Camping should not be so comfy and clean.... no worries I am just secretly jealous and still tring zealously to get the knot out of my back from our tenting experience, you brats.

Lee said...

Lance

I was happy to hear from you. I haven't seen you since we were at the airport when your brother in law got off his mission. How is Austin? Kim wants to move to be your neighbor. She has wanted to live there for a long time. I just don't ahve a job there so it doesn't work very well. The lake area looks awesome. Are you guys going to be in town for the reunion? We have been fence sitting if we would go or not but Greg Larsen lives out by us and I thnk we are going to go after toalking to him. Do you still keep in touch with Mark Driggs? I ran into him at a hockey game many many years ago but have no idea about him now.

LeeRoy Brown

The Brown Family said...

Water drip,drip,drip
Destroys forgotten treasure-
Haiku by Lance H.

Lance, I don't know how much you read on our blog, but I made it sound like our OHS yearbooks didn't matter to me. At that time, I had forgotten the priceless haiku (something about fire burning...maybe related to my red hair??) contained in those books. I should revise my OHS rant.
You have a darling family. Lee and I took a few minutes to read through some of the blog. Let us know when you are up here in Utah.
Kim Brown

Kristen said...

So many great pictures - I feel like I was there. What a fun trip. You guys know how to do camping up right!