Conor had a very bad day yesterday.
Conor had a very bad night last night.
I've mentioned that a week ago Conor had his Adenoids and tonsils out. He has had a VERY tough recovery. Mainly because his tonsils were not only huge, but also, embeded into his neck wall, extending up into his upper palette ...In short, it was a very invasive surgery...not typical of most T&As. I had called the Dr.'s office the day before asking that he be seen because he seemed to be having such a horrible time...worse than expected. My Dr....who is awesome, I might add, was unfortunately out of town, and the Dr. in office refused to see him, saying that this was typical for a week out from surgery, and called us in some more pain medication.
Last evening at around 5:00pm, Conor started talking funny and said it felt like there was something in his throat. I offered him a drink of water and told him the scabs were supposed to be sluffing off around this time and that maybe that's what was happening. I gave him another drink to see if it helped. It didn't. I asked if I could see in his throat...he can hardly open his mouth , so I couldn't see anything. I started getting that feeling that I NEEDED to see down his throat. So, I asked him to open up again and I gently poked the back wall of his throat so that he would gag, letting me see inside. This worked, and what I saw, stopped my heart. There in the back of his throat was a fresh blood clot filling his entire airway. He immediately gagged it up --which eneded up being as big as a lemon--into my hands, then proceeded to throw up more blood than any person ever should.
I yelled to Lance, "We're going to the ER!!!!"
Lance scooped him up and we were off to Dell Children's Hospital.
Conor threw up more large blood clots and blood on the way to the ER, filling a grocery bag I had grabbed on the way out the door. When we arrived at the triage desk, I said I needed a triage nurse NOW!!! The receptionist calmly said,"she'll be with you in a minute"...I said, "NO, This kid is hemorrhaging and throwing up blood...I'll see her NOW."...and just on Que, Conor let loose again releasing an enormous blood clot, sending blood shooting out his mouth, nose, and all over her desk.
That got their attention.
He was rushed back to a room where they got an IV started, and squirted something into the back of his throat to help slow the bleeding. They did some lab work and contacted the ENT on call. He'd lost a lot of blood, and we were waiting on the labs to see if he needed a transfusion. The ENT came in and said he was taking Conor back into surgery right away. He was on the fence about the transfusion, and said , We'll see how surgery goes, then draw another lab to see...
Then they wheeled away my baby.
Only half hour later, the Dr. came out and said they were able to cauterize the bleeding and got it to stop. He also pulled off the remaining scabs and cauterized them as well. Things looked good. He also said that they pumped his stomach, and that pumping all of the blood he'd swallowed took longer than the surgery itself, but that should help him not be so nauseated. He also said, that he was close enough on his labs that they weren't going to do a transfusion, that they wanted his body to catch it up if it could.
We got admitted into a room around midnight,...they were in and out checking vitals until 3:30am, then He finally got to sleep....until 4:45 when he woke up to go potty. Then he actually got to sleep!
They kept him for 24 hours and we got to come home today. He is doing SO MUCH BETTER!!! He's eaten more in the last 12 hours than he has in the past week! Which is great because the kid who is already a twig, and VERY PALE, has lost 4 pounds in the past week...he looks like a white toothpick with a bobble head on top...he could be a vampire in Stephenie Meyers books....
He should have a better recovery from here on out....but I'm still a nervous wreck...that was horrible. I NEVER want to see any of my kids go through something like that again. I am so grateful for the prayers of many friends and family. Thank You!!!
Conor's buddy Cameron came to visit him at the hospital---it brightened his day!
More than ready to go home!
Conor had a very bad night last night.
I've mentioned that a week ago Conor had his Adenoids and tonsils out. He has had a VERY tough recovery. Mainly because his tonsils were not only huge, but also, embeded into his neck wall, extending up into his upper palette ...In short, it was a very invasive surgery...not typical of most T&As. I had called the Dr.'s office the day before asking that he be seen because he seemed to be having such a horrible time...worse than expected. My Dr....who is awesome, I might add, was unfortunately out of town, and the Dr. in office refused to see him, saying that this was typical for a week out from surgery, and called us in some more pain medication.
Last evening at around 5:00pm, Conor started talking funny and said it felt like there was something in his throat. I offered him a drink of water and told him the scabs were supposed to be sluffing off around this time and that maybe that's what was happening. I gave him another drink to see if it helped. It didn't. I asked if I could see in his throat...he can hardly open his mouth , so I couldn't see anything. I started getting that feeling that I NEEDED to see down his throat. So, I asked him to open up again and I gently poked the back wall of his throat so that he would gag, letting me see inside. This worked, and what I saw, stopped my heart. There in the back of his throat was a fresh blood clot filling his entire airway. He immediately gagged it up --which eneded up being as big as a lemon--into my hands, then proceeded to throw up more blood than any person ever should.
I yelled to Lance, "We're going to the ER!!!!"
Lance scooped him up and we were off to Dell Children's Hospital.
Conor threw up more large blood clots and blood on the way to the ER, filling a grocery bag I had grabbed on the way out the door. When we arrived at the triage desk, I said I needed a triage nurse NOW!!! The receptionist calmly said,"she'll be with you in a minute"...I said, "NO, This kid is hemorrhaging and throwing up blood...I'll see her NOW."...and just on Que, Conor let loose again releasing an enormous blood clot, sending blood shooting out his mouth, nose, and all over her desk.
That got their attention.
He was rushed back to a room where they got an IV started, and squirted something into the back of his throat to help slow the bleeding. They did some lab work and contacted the ENT on call. He'd lost a lot of blood, and we were waiting on the labs to see if he needed a transfusion. The ENT came in and said he was taking Conor back into surgery right away. He was on the fence about the transfusion, and said , We'll see how surgery goes, then draw another lab to see...
Then they wheeled away my baby.
Only half hour later, the Dr. came out and said they were able to cauterize the bleeding and got it to stop. He also pulled off the remaining scabs and cauterized them as well. Things looked good. He also said that they pumped his stomach, and that pumping all of the blood he'd swallowed took longer than the surgery itself, but that should help him not be so nauseated. He also said, that he was close enough on his labs that they weren't going to do a transfusion, that they wanted his body to catch it up if it could.
We got admitted into a room around midnight,...they were in and out checking vitals until 3:30am, then He finally got to sleep....until 4:45 when he woke up to go potty. Then he actually got to sleep!
They kept him for 24 hours and we got to come home today. He is doing SO MUCH BETTER!!! He's eaten more in the last 12 hours than he has in the past week! Which is great because the kid who is already a twig, and VERY PALE, has lost 4 pounds in the past week...he looks like a white toothpick with a bobble head on top...he could be a vampire in Stephenie Meyers books....
He should have a better recovery from here on out....but I'm still a nervous wreck...that was horrible. I NEVER want to see any of my kids go through something like that again. I am so grateful for the prayers of many friends and family. Thank You!!!
Conor's buddy Cameron came to visit him at the hospital---it brightened his day!
More than ready to go home!

18 comments:
Oh, hope he gets feeling better. Glad he gets to go home. I bet he's more than ready!
oh my GRAVY!!! that poor kiddo. i'm so, so sorry that happened, and i'm so glad he's on the mend. we'll keep him in our prayers!
reading that brought tears to my eyes steph! i am so sorry that happened, so sorry for conor and so so for all of you. how traumatic. i am SO glad he is okay. how incredibly scary. we'll keep him in our prayers that he'll continue to recover and be back to perfect health soon.
i meant "so sorry for all of you" not "so so." just a typo. sorry.
Poor Conor! We're prayin' for you buddy! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that. I almost threw up just reading it - I can't imagine how much worse to live it!!
Add my "sorry's" to the list.....CRAP! I almost called you today to see if he was doing better at all....guess I wouldn't have found you home, dang it!
That poor kid.....I hope everything goes better from here on out now...prayers for that on their way!
Oh Steph! That poor kid! I was on the edge of my seat reading that account! I am so glad he is doing better. What a frightening experience. We are thinking of you!
HOLY! That is so scary! There is nothing worse than seeing your child suffer, and there is nothing that you can do about it. Crazy. I am SO glad that he is feeling better. What a champ.
Oh my gosh! That is awful! I'm so glad you are so smart and medically trained! Way to go Steph! What a great mom you are! Poor Conor! Tell him hi from us and we are praying for him to get better faster this time! That just breaks my heart!
You know, Conor has been on my mind and in my heart for the past week -- I keep trying to come up with something to do for him that could help. I'm figuring at this point prayers are what is needed -- and that's what we've been doing. Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way for a (now) quick recover for him.
Wow, I am totally in tears...that poor, tough little trooper! As a parent, I can not even imagine what it feels like to watch your baby throw up gobs of blood and suffer so much. We are praying for you guys constantly...give little Conor a squeeze from us!
I am so glad Conor is ok. That was the most sad experience I've read for a long and I am so glad you rushed him to the ER! Yikes, my nerves would have been through the roof!
i just have to also tell you when i told joey about it last night, i started to cry! just imagining it all and telling him about it made me lose it:( joey taught conor when he was ctr 5, not sure if you remember. joey and i were thinking about conor a lot last night. . .
Poor Conor! I'm in tears!!:( I can't imagine what you guys went through! I'm so glad that he is doing better, I think i would totally lose my cool if I saw my child throwing up buckets of blood..it looks like you handled the situation like a pro!
He is in our prayers to make a speedy and full recovery.
We love you guys!
I can't even imagine how that would feel! How scary! Looks like you did a great job Steph, I wouldn't know what to do. Our thoughts and prayers are with Conor and the whole family. We love you, hang in there!
Oh I feel so bad for Conor and for you, thats tough to have something like that happen, glad you are such a great mom and nurse to reconize that something was going on. love ya
That sounds like an awful experience. I'm so glad that you knew what to do. Poor kid. I'm so glad to hear he is doing better. I hope you can relax as well after all that trauma.
oh my gosh. scary stuff!
hope he's doing better.
Post a Comment