Saturday, May 17, 2008

Wishful Thinking

The monks dressed in orange at the airports are a strange dichotomy (I'll bet Mindi never had "dichotomy" as a slang word of the day). On the one hand, they dress differently and live on their own to remind themselves they are to be humble and transcend above this world. However, watching them today at the airport, I see them touting video cameras, eating at Burger King, taking planes and cabs. Hmm. I don't get it.

I assume that for religious reasons, they are celibate. Must be difficult. It's hard enough for me to fight the women off now. Can you imagine the difficulty if I was wearing one of those uber-awesome robes! I'd need a stick to fight them off!

While dress for them appears to be standard, footwear apparently isn't. One of the monks had sport flip-flops on that said "Lucky". Funny, since I wouldn't expect "getting lucky" would be a goal of his.

Anyway, I'm once again state-side in L.A.! The trip back is going faster. It's only been 26 hrs so far with another 6 hrs to go before I see that dang cute wife and kids!

1 comment:

Mindi said...

ummmmmmmm, HELLO, i have too used the word 'dichotemy" (sp?) many times on my blog, over and over and over again. now i am gonna have to use it in a sentence today.

my man and i dressed up as these fellows for halloween 3 years ago complete with bald skull caps and all. russ had to fight the ladies off all night long, so good thing you stayed strong and didn't convert. way to go!!