Friday, May 16, 2008

Food of Malaysia!

The people here have been very nice and have taken us out to dinner every night. One of the cool places was Southern Indian and served the food on banana leaves. I'm addicted to mango lassies!


OK, on the NOT so cool side. Asians love seafood and there is some weird stuff that comes out of the ocean. Here are a few other things I ate on the trip:

This was some kind of black herb jelly. They put honey on this and called it a treat. Noooo thank you:
Everyday, the locals would ask us if we had tried Durian Fruit. They always asked this with a bit of a smurk and it was clear that getting visitors to try it was a favorite pastime. The Durian is known as the King of Fruit in Asia. It has such a strong smell that Hotels and airlines will not let people take them inside. It's been described as smelling/tasting like dirty socks or vomit. But heck, when in Rome...

Oh yeah, doesn't that look like a large intestine or something? It taste like a stinky cheese with a bit of fruit. My friend from India tried four times to eat a bite and ran away all four times gagging and spit it out (I got the whole thing on video which will come in handy and the next company meeting).

2 comments:

Hacking it up said...

Serously disgusting....

You weren't kidding when you said it looked like an intestine...it does...I know, I've seen one....it looked--and apparently smelled just like that....

SERIOUSLY! What do these poor people do without Chocolate?...Does LDS Humanitarian services know about this? ...WEll, I think it's high time it was brought to their attention.....

Mindi said...

cant. do. it.

anything that smells like vomit and dirty socks is something i don't really need in my daily diet.