So, just to add more drama and stress..I took Conor to the ENT today because I have been worried about him having sleep apnea....yep. He's got it....a fairly severe case at that.
The plan?
T&A by the ENT, PDQ!
They've scheduled his surgery for Tues. morning!!
...as in 6 days from now!
They said we could wait a couple more weeks until school is out if we wanted.
I'm thinking I'm going to try to re-schedule it for then, since we have plans to go out of town next Thursday, and I don't think he'll be up for a 12 hour drive in the car, and a bunch of running around 2 days after surgery...ice cream or not! That way, I guess I'll have some more time to squeeze it in ...poor kid. The doc says he'll be like a new kid after, because he'll FINALLY be able to get some good quality, restful sleep...and oxygen!
He was so worried going to the Dr. today because the last time he visited a Dr., he had to have blood drawn...NOT OK with him....he also got a shot.
When I finally convinced him that neither was going to happen to him, he was relieved.
HOWEVER, when he asked what he was going to the Dr. FOR, I told him it was to see if he needed surgery or not.
Well, the actual WORD surgery never came into the conversation with the doc...just words like removal, etc. So, when we finished with our appointment,and were in the elevator on the way down to the lobby, Conor let out a big sigh and said," Welp, at least I don't have to have surgery!"
AWKWARD SILENCE.
Then I cautiously respond, "Welp, actually, YOU DO have to have surgery..."
His reaction?
"WHAT?!?!?!?!?!" Yelled with utter panic in his voice.
My quick, and clever recovery,"But you get to eat ice cream every day!!!"
Still not entirely too impressed, but calmer nonetheless...
He spent the rest of the day reading through the comic book the doc gave to him about T&A's and how the procedure is done. This was actually very interesting to him and he went around saying things like "I'm going to have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed...." or "Tonsils are a collection place for bacteria..." or "Tonsils are located at the sides of your throat, Adenoids are at the back, at the base of the nasal cavity...".
..pretty darn cute coming from a 6 year old!
Funny little man!
Guess I'd better start stocking up on ice cream and popsicles!
The plan?
T&A by the ENT, PDQ!
They've scheduled his surgery for Tues. morning!!
...as in 6 days from now!
They said we could wait a couple more weeks until school is out if we wanted.
I'm thinking I'm going to try to re-schedule it for then, since we have plans to go out of town next Thursday, and I don't think he'll be up for a 12 hour drive in the car, and a bunch of running around 2 days after surgery...ice cream or not! That way, I guess I'll have some more time to squeeze it in ...poor kid. The doc says he'll be like a new kid after, because he'll FINALLY be able to get some good quality, restful sleep...and oxygen!
He was so worried going to the Dr. today because the last time he visited a Dr., he had to have blood drawn...NOT OK with him....he also got a shot.
When I finally convinced him that neither was going to happen to him, he was relieved.
HOWEVER, when he asked what he was going to the Dr. FOR, I told him it was to see if he needed surgery or not.
Well, the actual WORD surgery never came into the conversation with the doc...just words like removal, etc. So, when we finished with our appointment,and were in the elevator on the way down to the lobby, Conor let out a big sigh and said," Welp, at least I don't have to have surgery!"
AWKWARD SILENCE.
Then I cautiously respond, "Welp, actually, YOU DO have to have surgery..."
His reaction?
"WHAT?!?!?!?!?!" Yelled with utter panic in his voice.
My quick, and clever recovery,"But you get to eat ice cream every day!!!"
Still not entirely too impressed, but calmer nonetheless...
He spent the rest of the day reading through the comic book the doc gave to him about T&A's and how the procedure is done. This was actually very interesting to him and he went around saying things like "I'm going to have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed...." or "Tonsils are a collection place for bacteria..." or "Tonsils are located at the sides of your throat, Adenoids are at the back, at the base of the nasal cavity...".
..pretty darn cute coming from a 6 year old!
Funny little man!Guess I'd better start stocking up on ice cream and popsicles!


14 comments:
what a cutie. and he'll be even cuter after the surgery.
and your husband is quite the character, I've decided.
Hang in there with all you have on your plate!
How many kids do you have again?
ACK! Your hubby is going to be home by then isn't he?!
Nicole's T&A is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
By the way, you may need to reschedule. Both ENT's we went to wanted us to stay "around town" for 2 weeks post removal, just in case there was hemorrhaging....2% chance...
Also....does your ENT do "coblation" or removal using radio frequency, or the good ole electrocautery method? You may want to look into it. Coblation causes less bleeding, and less pain...which can mean a better recovery. That's why we switched ENT's and canceled our first surgery date...we decided to have coblation instead.
Third...a family in our ward is moving to Austin. I'll email you for info on your house and see if they are interested....do I get a cut if they buy it?! ;)
Oh, sad boy!!! Not so great timing, that's crappy.
I should have had my tonsils out long ago. I'm too chicken to do it as an adult.... But, I'm totally afraid to ever get Strep again!!!!! Maybe I'll gain the courage from Cute Conor's bravery!!! Wish him luck!!
Andra--Our ENT does coblation...and he does all of his procedures at the Dell Children's Med. Center...thanks for the info! ...I'm definitely going to re-schedule for June!!! I hope all goes well for you tomorrow!!! Do you have your ice cream ready? Let me know how it goes!!
And yes!!! Tell your friends to buy my house!!!...I'll buy you a plane ticket here for a visit, if they buy it!! :)
Conner will do great. He will be a new man after those organs that are a "breeding ground for bacteria" are removed. As always, if you need anything before or after that time. let Candice and I know.
Hopefully it will make all the difference in the world to him -- but I hate it that he has to have surgery. Ice cream will help though, I'm sure!
He is a doll! Hopefully the surgery will be the fix he needs :)
Good luck!
Sorry about that Conor but I know things will be ok. Make sure mom gets the ice cream you like. It will be nice for him not to be so tired all the time.
Love you little man.
That kind of thing has got to be a little scary! I swear Cody has sleep apnea too! He never breaths while he is sleeping! How did you know to take him in? I hope everything goes good with the surgery. Love you Conor!
Can I have a T&A too, so I can have ice cream every day?
Poor, cute little guy. This has got to be one of the toughest things as a mommy to watch the little ones go through this kind of junk. I hope it makes all the difference for Conor. He is an adorable little boy, and will be so happy to sleep again!
PLEASE let us (your VT) know what we can do to help. I will be calling you!
i wonder where you (vt) were when my abbey got her tonsils out last month......rude!!
let me tell ya, sister--it's a bumpy road for about 5-7 days. buckle up and get ready.....and get LOTS of liquid lortab.
silver lining? her breath doesn't smell like it came from the depths of hell anymore and no more snoring!!
YOU CAN DO IT!
I can't believe you didn't mention this to me when I talked to you today! Poor little dude. Tell him that I will send him something fun when he has it done - I'm a poet, and indeed I do know it :)
aw, sorry to hear that. i've heard the first few days are tough after that surgery, but they are so worth it. my cousin's son just had it done and he is doing great now! good luck with everything! enjoy your icecream conor and share some with your mommy:)
Poor Conner. Good luck and he probably will feel like a new little man.
Post a Comment