Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Things around my house that are ok...and NOT ok

So living in the "country" on "land"--and I use those terms loosely due to the fact that we in fact only live about a mile out of the "burbs" and as far as "land" goes, we only have 2 acres, but still-- It has it's pros and cons...

One of the pros is all of the wildlife we get out in these parts such as:

This cute little road runner the kids named "Rodie"
Lived in our backyard...until he tried to cross the road to the neighbors and somebody squished him....maybe he thought he was a chicken.... I saw a couple more out there the other day :)


Deer...cute, but they poop on my lawn and eat my flowers....at least until I came upon them in my yard one night while driving into my driveway, at which point, I literally ran them off my land with my FJ, with Lauren in the car whining, "Moooooommm! you're so mean!!!"

A porcupine. or as we like to call them "porkily pines"
Again...tried to cross the road....you know the rest of the story...I'm not really sure I want any more of these...


THESE, however, I love!

These guys set up shop in the sewage drainage pipe of our RV...which is only about 3 inches in diameter to give you an idea of how small these fellas are...

check out their cute li'l afros

They look like Buckwheat


Peter Cotton-Tail lives out by our trampoline


See his cute li'l tail?
He eats weeds.
He is a good bunny.


Now.
There are some things around here that are not ok.

This is the devil's spawn.
Nutsedge.
It is a weed and it takes over EVERYTHING.
Why can't the deer eat that?


I am pretty sure I almost had a cardiac arrest when I saw this crawling up the outside of my house. Brave Lance destroyed it with a big rock....I think he screamed like a little girl a couple of times when it tried to attack him...



This I found while weeding the flower beds out front.
I was immediately done weeding.
I told Lance, "There is a dead Tarantula in the front yard...I'm done"
Lance, after further inspection, came to let me know, "No it isn't a dead Tarantula...it is a Tarantula SKIN...they molt...which means it's still alive somewhere....and bigger...."

What a jerk.




We found it a couple of days later.

not ok.


Also, we found one of these on our driveway....I'm pretty sure it's a baby rattlesnake...but I didn't want to find out, so I just went in the house and closed the garage door....and didn't tell my mom I saw it, or she'll never come and visit us again....

7 comments:

Jan said...

Ack. I'm with you - -the wildlife doesn't make me too happy. Sigh.

Good thing you have Lance to t things ake care offor you!!

And I'm laughing because my word verification word is 'hyper'. Ha!!

andrea said...

You didn't tell your mom...until now! I can't believe you ran the deer off with your FJ. You are mean. ;) Would you call me?!

Brit H. said...

Ick! My skin is now crawling!

I am SO glad that You guys and your house was spared from the fire! Well, most of it at least. That is scary! Good sniffer Lance!

Mrs. O said...

This why you need to live soemwhere that gets freezing in the winter - it kills off a lot of that stuff so it can't get quite so big!

Littletime said...

I would not be so happy living with all of that, especially the spiders and snakes....that freaks me out. Good luck to Lance.

TheSainOnes said...

Steph.. Some of them are Very cute but the others no thanks~ I don't know how you ever get use to seeing the yucky things. the Snake would have had me packed and headed to my mommy.

Fantastic Five said...

why the crap did i pay $40 to take my kids to the snake farm to see native creatures? why? you live just down the street and CLEARLY have everything native that i can imagine.

i am starting to itch...