Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Helpful information concerning rattlesnakes.



Do you see this?!?!
It is a baby rattle snake.
It was in our garage last night.
Lance killed it with a shovel and a hammer.

This is not ok.

I've watched animal planet.

I realize that where there is one baby rattle snake, there are a bunch of brothers and a mom ....somewhere.
I know that baby rattlesnakes are a lot more dangerous than adult rattlesnakes .
I know that their venom is more potent and is compared to that of a coral snake.
I know that my kids will never get to play outside again...unless they carry a shovel and a hammer around with them.

I needed to do some research....to protect my children.
So, I go to the rattlesnake place on Goolge...yes there is one. and I found some VERY HELPFUL information. I feel it is my civic duty to share these with you at this time. These are actual quotes- by the way- from the helpful information about rattlesnakes site I found on Google.

SECTION 1
How to recognize a Rattlesnake

1. "Rattlesnakes have a forked tongue that they flick up and down."
Well, thank you Captain Obvious...NOW I know how to pick out a rattlesnake in a crowd.

2.
"Colors can range from shades of brown, gray and black, tones of yellow, cream, rust, olive, and light pink. A rattlesnake’s skin may contain a pattern that is banded, diamond shaped, or blotched. Some species of rattlesnake have no identifying pattern at all."
Excellent...there are no blue rattlesnakes.

3."
A snakes vision can detect objects or movement from about 40 feet away, but their vision is sharper when objects are closer."
Oh good...that is so different from other snakes...and people

4."Rattlesnakes have a
blunt tail with jointed rattle (Note: baby rattlesnakes don't have rattles and some adult snakes may break or lose their rattles)"
Well duh, we KNOW about the rattle part....but some rattlesnakes don't have rattles...check.

5.
A Rattlesnakes eyes have vertical "cat-like" pupils"
Like I'm going to get close enough to check that out....Oh look! One pupil is larger than the other...what we have here is a rattlesnake with a head injury.

It gets better folks.

SECTION 2
What are the symptoms of a rattlesnake bite?
(what the?...are they serious?)

1.
"One or two puncture marks"
So then how do you know if you've been bitten by a rattlesnake or a vampire?

2."
Pain, tingling or burning at the area of the bite"
again...happens with vampire bites

3.
"Nausea, weakness and lightheadedness, difficulty breathing"
Yeah well, that happens when people see snakes anyway...



WELL.
THANK YOU MR. GOOGLE RATTLESNAKE PAGE OF ABSOLUTELY USELESS INFORMATION.


Now, here's my version.

How to recognize a rattlesnake


1.If you see a snake, it doesn't matter what kind it is. Grab a shovel and a hammer and beat the hell out of it until it is dead.

And THAT my friends is useful information.
THAT will keep our children safe.

8 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm so sorry about the rattlesnake problem but you do make me laugh :)

Wendy said...

I am deathly afraid of snakes, if I ever thought I might come visit you . . . it's over now. Good luck with the snake hunting!

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I'm laughing really hard right now? That said, I am sorry for your snake problem (and the spider issue, for that matter). Good luck and we would love to come and visit when you get this all worked out.

Andi said...

Haha! I agree wholeheartedly! My parents were ranchers when I was a kid and I saw WAY too many rattlesnakes for one lifetime. Even if it was a baby we'd jump on the fence and scream until my dad killed it (yes, my mom was on the fence with me screaming). Shovels do the trick just great. So do 22's (if you're a good shot. But I don't know if you're allowed to have one. Oh wait, you live in TX. Get a 22!).

hoLLy said...

yikes. scratch what i said on facebook. i'll stay right where i am :)

thanks for the good laugh steph:) and dang that google. it don't know nothin. just beat the crap outta it.

Scott said...

You are too funny!! What you must realize is that there are only a few competent people in the world. You are one of them, Mr. Google is not.

Fantastic Five said...

thank goodness you bought those house rats to take care of your snake problem. phew!

that really is just not okay in any way. i don't know about the "outdoor cinema" anymore. princess bride and rattlesnakes don't go over well where i come from. we may need to build that snake wall we were talking about. we will start that after lance clears out all your trees for horses, or course.

Natalie Scott said...

I hear you, Steph. We have found a total of 3 baby rattlesnakes around our house, 2 of which were on OUR FRONT PORCH. Ryan killed the first one with a shovel and the second I saw while Ry was out of town and it got away. So I call a professional and he basically charged me like $500.00 to find the one, take it away and look around for a cove. Then he was helpful the way google is and told me snakes are attracted to food sources and we probably have lots of those behind our fence (y'know, in the COUNTRY part of our neighborhood). Um, thanks, and HOW MUCH ARE YOU CHARGING ME??? Seriously? Sometimes I hate Texas!

So anyway, good luck with your little snake problem. You have my empathy!