Day 2: Terra Cotta Soldier Exhibit at the Houston Museum of Science
Here we are striking our archer poses like the dude on the poster....except we're not made of Terra Cotta....

Here we are striking our archer poses like the dude on the poster....except we're not made of Terra Cotta....

We were really excited to be able to go see these dudes. This is the first and last time they will ever leave China. They are only going to 4 cities in the U.S. ...and Houston was one of them!! They are now in their final city before they head back on a slow boat to China--Washington,D.C., so any of you folks live out there, you HAVE to go check these guys out!
They are cool.
Here we are by one of the warriors...right before my kids knocked it over and shattered it to pieces.... Just kidding...it's a replica....and they really didn't break it....at least I don't THINK it was my kids that did that...
This is "the General"
I'm not quite sure what Conor was planning to do to him....
Right before we entered the exhibit, a lady who apparently works at the museum asked if we came to see "The Boys"-- as she informed us that she likes to call them--when we said yes, she showed us a picture on her iphone of a full scale replica of one of "the boys" that she has sitting on her front porch guarding her front door.
????
That lady needs to get out more.....I think she's watched night at the museum too many times...I think she thinks they all come to life at night....
Apparently I've seen too many Indiana Jones movies though...because I always pictured this little Chinaman out digging in his field and voila! Would you lookey here! It is an army of Terra Cotta soldiers!!
Like this.
I should call Dr. Jones and tell him of my marvelous find!!
nope.
they looked like this when that little Chinaman farmer found them
and this...
Dang.
It's going to take all the kings horses and all the kings men for this one...
...but I don't think they'll be much help...
They are cool.
Here we are by one of the warriors...right before my kids knocked it over and shattered it to pieces.... Just kidding...it's a replica....and they really didn't break it....at least I don't THINK it was my kids that did that...
This is "the General"I'm not quite sure what Conor was planning to do to him....
Right before we entered the exhibit, a lady who apparently works at the museum asked if we came to see "The Boys"-- as she informed us that she likes to call them--when we said yes, she showed us a picture on her iphone of a full scale replica of one of "the boys" that she has sitting on her front porch guarding her front door.
????
That lady needs to get out more.....I think she's watched night at the museum too many times...I think she thinks they all come to life at night....
Apparently I've seen too many Indiana Jones movies though...because I always pictured this little Chinaman out digging in his field and voila! Would you lookey here! It is an army of Terra Cotta soldiers!!
Like this.
I should call Dr. Jones and tell him of my marvelous find!!nope.
they looked like this when that little Chinaman farmer found them
and this...
Dang.It's going to take all the kings horses and all the kings men for this one...
...but I don't think they'll be much help...
The detail on these guys is amazing!
Their heads were put on the bodies very last, then they individualized every one of them---and they figure there are about 6,000 of these dudes-- with different noses, facial features, hair, etc....wow!!!!
They have already put 1,000 of them back together.This must have been one of their first ones...ya know, before they really got the hang of it...

The famous kneeling archer, although, without his bow, he just looks like he's getting ready to karate chop someone to me...probably a short person since he's kneeling...probably the naughty kid who broke all of the statues.
Hi-Yaaaah!

Apparently they were all painted at one time and holding actual weapons too! The Emperor must have thought all of those guys come to life at night too, cuz, dang! Or he's just really vain and superstitious...
It was a really cool exhibit-one my kids are still talking about. I'm glad we got to see them while they were so close by!
It was a really cool exhibit-one my kids are still talking about. I'm glad we got to see them while they were so close by!


2 comments:
That looks like it was awesome. You were lucky to get to see them. I'd like to see them but not in China.
Velly intellesting.....really, that is cool that you saw that exhibit. Didn't know they'd never been out of China before, and won't ever be again. With 6000 of them you'd think they could share them around a little more. ;)
And hey, there's nothing wrong with that lady having one on her porch. I have a PF Chang horse guarding my front door.....the kids love to ride him...you know...at night....when he comes to life.
Post a Comment