Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Darker Side

Steph was out last week for a super fun time in Nashville at the CMA awards with her awesome sister Carey. I think if she could have gotten back-stage with Brad Pasley she wouldn't have come home (although I think that odd duck Randy Travis, despite his exceptional acting skills, scared her).

I was holding down the fort (sort-of) and decided I needed some bonding time with my three boys. I took them after school for some blazer tag. I expected it to be nearly empty during the week, but there was three birthday parties going on. I just smiled as about 20 5-year old girls and 15 8-year old boys all filed in for some fun. We strapped on our gear and me and my boys headed into the dark room.
Now, I'm not competitive. I don't watch sports and could care less about the score when I play them (maybe that's just what losers say). However, something happens to me in that room. Before I know it, I've lost track of my boys and I'm taking down 5-year old girls as fast as I can. Yeah, so a few of them started crying and the pary girl's dad tried to get between me and them. Moron. That just made him soooo much easier to take out.
Before I knew it, time was up. I came out of my Rambo daze, found my kids and headed over to get my....errr...I mean their score sheets.
Our 5-year old Wyatt was ranked 34th. Hmm, perhaps if his dad had been around to show him how to work it... Conor and Chase did well.
Despite the crying girls, angry (but frightened) looks from parents, and a bit of guilt, I took pride in being ranked 2nd. That was until I saw some stupid girl named Emily aka "2 hot 4 u" that had doubled my score to take 1st. So, I took her outside and open up a can of whoop a**.

OK, not really, but I thought about it.

Perhaps blazer tag isn't for me :)

8 comments:

Hacking it up said...

good grief....I can't leave you alone for 2 minutes,...much less 4 days...poor kids...:)

seriously though, you did a great job with all of the kids while I was gone!!! Thanks sweetie!!! xoxox

Jan said...

I love it. My hubby and boys have a manly tradition at Blazer Tag too -- whenever they are all here at the same time, it's a father/son activity that is a must-do.

And they love beating 5 year olds too.

Mindi said...

i think you should have done the "gut-face-groin" move on 2hot4u.

TAKE. NO. PRISONERS.

Bethany said...

Um..two days left. Do you have your tickets??? Boy, I sure do and I'm so excited to go to my first movie in a year and to be completely childless and husbandless. WHOO HOO

Brit H. said...

Lance. You are a crack up. I'm with Mindi. Take no prisoners.

Steph, I can't believe that you went to the CMAs. You dog.

Brit H. said...

You ARE going to blog about it thought, right? I NEED to live vicariously.

jenjamin said...

Oh that is hilarious. I think there is a short film in there somewhere. You should write and ben will make it :)

Alison said...

I just wanted to let you know that I went private. If you want an invite send me your email address.

alison@sfcn.org