Sunday, November 2, 2008

Larry, Curly, and Moe - Squirrel Mafia

About 6 months ago, the kids noticed a squirrel hanging around our house. For some reason, they decided to name it "Larry the Squirrel".

Larry was cute. He ran around. He swished his little tail, he crinkled up his little nose.
Then, Larry found his way into MY attic. Larry was no longer cute. Larry needed to go for a long drive in the country.

So, I borrowed a small animal trap from some friends (they had already stocked up on fresh squirrel and possum meat for the winter) and after some effort, set it up in the attic.

However, Larry was smart. Too smart. He completely avoided the attic and sat out on the fence, mocking me with his bushy tail. I switched the bait in the trap to peanut butter. That was it. His weak spot.

I loaded him in the car, took him for a long drive, and let him go. I returned home the triumphant MAN of the house.

Two days latter, another squirrel was in the attic. Son of a...
This one became known as Curly. Steph got the smart idea of just putting the trap outside in the yard instead of climbing in the attic (see why I married her?). A few days latter we had him! Well, one squirrel may be chance, but two points to something bigger. We had stumbled upon the squirrel mafia. I decided to take Curly in for questioning. Chase and I played the classic good-cop - bad-cop.

Here's Chase (good cop) offering him more peanut butter to rat out his friends.


Then I come in playing bad cop.




Threats of imprisonment, poison, and a dinner invitation couldn't compete with the Mafia's hold on Curly. So, another ride out in the country.

Which brings us to Moe. Yes, another squirrel. Another long ride. At this point, I think I've either gotten all members of the squirrel mafia, or else they are laying in wait with something really bad. Time will tell...

9 comments:

jenjamin said...

you guys are so dang hilarious! good luck with that one!

Jan said...

Did you give him some cement shoes? That's what you really need to do. Make him walk the plank -- a ride in the country just isn't enough.

andrea said...

I was waiting for the rest of the story....the one where you hide the squirrel in your wife's kitchen sink under some trash....

Anonymous said...

Very Very Funny!

Chelsey said...

That is hilarious! Squirrels? Really? Do they have a network and communications with each other? I wouldn't dare with that bleach you have!

Hacking Highlights said...

Lance--you crack me up! I laughed for a while over that one. Is it the hair cut or are you looking thin? (Not your hair, your body)...I really did mean your body. Really, I promise! You've lost weight.

Mindi said...

stephanie--what a lucky woman to have a man who wants to play "bad cop" all the time!

where have you been?

Unknown said...

Lance you always make me laugh :)
Good job on roundin up the rodents and I'm equally impressed that you let them live...you get brownie points for that!

Nat said...

Poor squirrel must have been scared to death of Lance, good thing he had a good cop to save him and give him more peanut butter. :)