Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Quick update on Ike's impact here.

Ike turned north-northeast earlier than expected and completely missed Austin. We're very grateful - especially since our house is currently at the framing stage during which water is not good.
It's very impressive how well organized the church is down here. As with Hurricane Rita, evacuees from Stakes on the coast arrived in Austin at the Stake centers where they were assigned to families. We were assigned a family Wed. night.

As with Rita, the family assigned to us only spoke Spanish and we only speak English. However, in some strange way, Steph and my two girls always knew what was going on. In fact, they were frequently all laughing. I never could get it. Was it some weird girl thing? Normally at dinner, I have my own family pointing at me and laughing. Now I have two families pointing at me and laughing. In two languages. It's like I'm the international butt of all jokes.

I think Steph most liked telling the story of when we were in Mexico and I basically said "Bien" to every question.
Would you like to buy a pig shaped bank? "Bien".
What would you like to eat? "Bien".
OK if we charge you stupid Americans twice as much for the tour? "Bien".


In any case, we're having a lot of fun getting to know a new family and feeling very grateful we're safe and sound.

4 comments:

Hacking it up said...

I remember a little Spanish from High school LANCE....and I've been studying up since our guests have arrived...plus, our own kids are being taught Spanish in School, so they know more than me....Idioto.

Jan said...

Good for you on the language skills and understanding! You're way ahead of me.

And aren't we glad that Ike missed us?? Yipppee!

Chelsey said...

I'm glad nothing happened up there in Austin. Sounds like you have a good excuse to brush up your Spanish Lance!

Kristi said...

Hola! Como esta? Soy de Idaho. me gusta burritos.

You guys are awesome for being so generous and being so funny.