Monday, July 27, 2009

Hacking Family Reunion -- part I

This year we had our first Hacking family reunion!
Lance, being the oldest sibling, was in charge this year, so we picked Durango, CO.
When Lance was little. his parents bought them all bright yellow shirts to wear on a vacation so they could keep track of all 7 kids!--We decided to keep that tradition this year, and ordered everyone yellow shirts--35 in all!



Here's most of us --at the trail head to the Spruce Tree House in Mesa Verde.

Here's the two people that started it all!


Lauren and Madi

hiking down, down, down...
more down...going back up is going to suck!!!

yep...won't be losing anyone in those shirts!!

Matt, Chase and Ireland

...just like at home...putting those boys to work for their food...



This is what our family would look like hundreds of years ago if we had our picture taken in front of our cliff dwelling...except we wouldn't be smiling....or wearing clothes...


I love this picture of little Sophie climbing on the walls by the "don't climb on the walls" sign

Looking down into a Kiva

The boys all decided to go down and take a look...

..not much down here...I'm outta here...



Everytime we go to a Natl. Park, my boys like to do the Jr. Ranger program...
they take it very seriously...

Soliciting dad's help...
BTW...like his shades? He picked them up at some truck driver stop on our drive to Colorado since he couldn't find his....He tried to find the ugliest pair he could....looks like he found them!!! I don't know why he likes to embarrass me.... :)


Can't put it off any longer...time to hike back up!

yep.
Up. Sucks.

Especially for these guys





stopping for a rest...

this one too...


Conor taking the Jr. Ranger oath...something about, don't kick the animals...take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints....


Success!
Mesa Verde's newest Jr. Ranger!

part II--a day at the lake-- coming soon!

6 comments:

Pyatt said...

I love seeing these adventures. We are going to Mesa Verde the last week of September...it would have been so fun to run into you guys!

andrea said...

I have always wanted to go to Mesa Verde. That hike looks like a pain. I wonder if they'd let me take my 4-wheeler on it. ;)

I want a Jr. Ranger badge. That pin looks sweet.

Remember Lance's lovely capris that he'd wear before you got married? Those were great. I should find a picture of those and post it on facebook for him.

Kellie said...

What fun! Looks hot!!

Chelsey said...

Looks like you guys had a good time. I think the yellow shirts are awesome! You really can't help but stand out in those! Great idea!

Helen said...

LANCE ALWAYS PICKS UGLY SUN GLASSES REMEMBER THE ORANGE ONE!!!
Looks like your reunion was a success. Can't say much about thoses yellow shirts except you won't get lost.

Our Bitter Sweet Life with T1D said...

Your pictures are great! I love your commentary, you are so dang funny! Oh, we miss you guys so much, we had so much fun. I still have tons more pics to post.